Chapter 20

Meryl woke up to the ringing of the house phone causing Meryl to stir. "Don?" There was no movement from her husband. She reached for her glasses putting them on and looked at her husband who was still fast asleep. She grabbed the phone, still half asleep. "Hello?"

"Meryl?" Larry said. Surprised his best friend's wife was still asleep. "I'm sorry; did I wake you?"

Meryl was trying to concentrate. "It's okay. What time is it?"

"10am." Larry laughed. "Chicken shit isn't still sleeping is he?"

Meryl laughed as she looked at her husband. "Yeah; he is."

"Is he okay?" Larry asked in concern. "He REALLY never sleeps this late."

Meryl looked hard at her husband and he did seem pretty dead to the world; but she chalked it up to the day they had the day before. After all, she had been dead to the world until the ringing of the phone woke her up. "I know he didn't want to let onto me, but he was in a pretty good deal of pain last night; and I made him take a pain pill along with the antibiotics the doctor in the ER prescribed. Not to mention that it was a long ass day yesterday."

"Yeah, it was." Larry sighed. "That is why I'm calling. There have been some developments on the leaks and everything; I was hoping to talk to you both about them, together."

Meryl nodded as she struggled to sit up. "I think that would be best. I want Don to be included in everything; he deserves to be as well."

"Do you want me to call back?" Larry asked.

Meryl couldn't believe Don had slept through this much of her phone conversation with Larry; it was pretty unlike him. "Hold on; let me try to wake him up."

"You sure I don't need to hang up for this?" Larry teased; knowing just how his best friend and his wife were.

Meryl laughed. "No you don't; hold on." Meryl sat the phone down and bent down, as much as she could to kiss her husband's cheek. "Don Man; wake up, baby." Meryl shook him a little harder. "Sweetheart, Larry is on the pone." No response. Meryl then bent down and gave him long kiss on his lips. Nothing. She was really starting to get worried. He wasn't even moving. Meryl quickly grabbed the phone. "Larry, I need to call you back."

"M?" Larry asked in concern due to the sound of her voice. "Is everything alright?"

Meryl was trying to push the fear she was experiencing to the back; but the fear was winning. "I swear if my brother hurt my husband worse than we thought I am going to fucking kill him."

"Mer?" Larry was trying to think about how long it would take him to get out to Don and Meryl's Salisbury house. "What's wrong?"

Meryl was trying to take deep breaths; knowing Don would want her to stay calm. "I can't wake him up. He's breathing. He did have some pain pills last night. This is so unlike him to sleep like this. Everything wakes him up. Besides, he's been particularly jump because of my complications."

"If I don't hear back from you in a few minutes; then I am calling back." Larry wanted to call 911 but he didn't want to overreact and terrify Meryl in the process; especially with her being at the house alone. "Call me right back, M."

Meryl wiped her tears. "I will, thanks, bye." Meryl couldn't get off the phone fast enough. She somehow managed to get up on her knees and straddle him; careful not to put too much weight on him due to her size and his bruised ribs. She kissed all over his face; talking in his ear. "Baby, I really need you to wake up right now. You're starting to scare me, Don Man. Wake up, sweetheart." She then began to nibble on his lips; then she began to smile as she felt his manhood stir under her and his fingers tangle in her hair. She didn't stop the tears that appeared in her eyes as she felt him deepen the kiss more and more. When they finally broke away, Meryl pressed her forehead against his. "Thank God."