Chapter #3

When I woke up on the next day, Draco has already left for work as usual. I was used to the fact that we didn't see each other in the morning. I got to my office in less than an hour and was surprised to see that Mira has already arrived there, even though I was early myself.

"Good morning, Miss Mullen!" she said cheerfully, looking up at me from the desk, already busy filling some forms in.

"Oh, morning, Mira," I said, a bit startled. How could she be so happy in the morning? I couldn't understand it especially because I was tired from not sleeping a lot - thanks to Draco.

"You're early," I told her and yawned, sitting on my chair and rubbing my eyes, still trying to adjust to the bright light in the office.

"Is it bad?" she asked, anxiety suddenly appearing on her face.

"No, no, it's alright, whatever," I waved my hand carelessly, massaging my temples with the other. "Merlin, I'll need lots of coffee to stay alive today."

"I'll get you one!" Mira said enthusiastically, then jumped to her feet and rushed out of the office with light's speed. I watched it all, totally dumbstruck.

I brushed it off since she was actually going to bring me coffee, the only thing that seemed to be the perfect solution to my exhaustion.

I sighed and was about to begin finishing the paperwork I left behind the day before, when someone knocked.

I was almost sure to see Hermione after the door opened (she was always early), but it wasn't her - it was Shane.

"Good morning, Aurora," he smiled as he stepped in.

"Speak for yourself," I replied grumpily, rubbing my eyes, "do I look like I'm having a good morning right now?" I added, but he didn't seem affected in any way. He probably got used to me acting like this.

"Sleepless night?" he asked, crossing his arms, still smiling.

"Yeah," I yawned again, mentally cursing Draco for driving me into such state.

"You look like you could use a cup of coffee."

"Mira is fetching me one," I replied with closed eyes, hoping beyond hope it'd give me some energy.

"Ah, this new assistant of yours, right?" he said and exactly after that, Mira opened the door and stepped into the office, a big cup of coffee in her hand.

"I'm back! And I have... Oh, hello," she stopped abruptly as she saw Shane.

"Ah, yeah, Mira, this is Shane Stagridge, fellow Obliviator," I explained, massaging my temples again.

"Oh, nice to meet you, Mr..."

"Shane will do," said Shane, shaking hands with Mira. "I'm already impressed with you. Being Aurora's assistant... Must be tough," he added with a laugh.

"Not funny, Shane," I told him as Mira passed me the hot cup.

"I'm honoured," she said immediately, sitting back on her chair, fixing her medium-length black hair.

"Learn from her, Shane," I told him, then sipped the hot coffee. He laughed and right after that the door of the office opened again, revealing Draco.

He didn't look happy to notice that Shane was there at all.

Both Mira and Shane greeted him, but Draco ignored them completely.

"I brought you coffee, but it looks like somebody was there first," he said, his words full of venom. I had to humour him somehow or things could become ugly.