Never Regret

Shiemi POV:

I stood in front of Rin with my fingers intertwined behind my back. He had his hands loosely hanging from the pockets of his shorts. Was he about to tell me something to do with the wound last night? Or was it about the few minutes before falling asleep? Despite how chill and relaxed he looked from afar, I could tell the muscles on his arms and legs were flexed tight with fear and anxiety.

"Sh-Shiemi..." he started off. I wasn't surprised it came out awkwardly.

"Y-Yes?" I mocked. He smiled and readjusted his feet.

"Remember when we met and we went to the changing room? And you were changing?"

"What about it?"

"Well..." I saw he turned to the boy in the corner, who gave him a reassuring nod. "There were these two boys."

Suddenly I could no longer feel his presence. I could no longer feel the warmth he emitted. I couldn't feel my hands. The world seemed to spin around me.

Taro.

I've only heard stories about the crimes he's committed, from spying on girls to actually fighting some half to death. His friend group is so vast, however, there's no way anyone would arrest him.

But I never thought it would happen to me.

"W-what...did you do?"

He raised his eyebrows. "I beat the undying shit out of one of them until the other was too scared to even come close."

I giggled slightly, even in my emotional state. But that quickly ended as I ran up to him and tried to feel that soothing warmth of his.

But without even realizing it, I hesitated.

What the hell? What was going on? I couldn't get myself to move. He didn't move either. He must have noticed my hesitation and gotten scared about closing the distance between us.

I must be afraid of boys now. Perverts. Crazed porn-addicts. Dickheads and assholes make up half the population.

But Rin...is the exception. I really hope I'm right.

I closed the distance between us and held him tight. He did the same.

What can't slip my mind is how even though we just met less than 24 hours ago, we are comfortable hugging each other at any moment. Probably because our meeting was so close, physically, that we, or I at least, am used to it and it's how I've known Rin for the past hours of our knowledge of each other's existence.

"Me and Aki were thinking about going to the police about it," he murmured in my hair. "Sakura as well."

"Sakura? Why is she coming along too?" My breath as I talked hit Rin's neck and I could feel his body tremor.

"Taro...invaded her privacy, or so Aki tells me."

I nodded against Rin's chest. We were going to go to the police station.

"So, if you will, could you tell us about your story, Sakura?"

Sakura didn't look fazed at all like her story didn't break her. I envied that quality. I wish I could say that learning about Taro didn't affect me. But as much as I tried to banish the thought from my head, it would never leave.

Sakura opened her mouth. "It was a few months ago, while I was dressing inside my dorm room. The windows are always open, but they're blocked by the desks so I can dress without fear of being seen. But suddenly I heard a loud crash outside the room, and ran to the window. I saw a ladder on the side of the building and Taro was climbing down with a camera."

The detective looked slightly surprised, as if she shared a similar story. After a quick 'thank you for sharing that' to Sakura, she turned to me. "And you, Shiemi?"

I reached to Rin for comfort, trying to find him under the desk without looking. He grabbed my hand and let our arms dangle at our sides. I turned to him, feeling like he should tell the story. As if he read my mind, Rin opened his mouth to speak.

"Shiemi and I were hanging out before gym class, and we were changing into our gym clothes, taking turns in a single stall. When she was getting changed, Taro and a friend of his spied at her through a hole in the wall. And I...kinda...fought them, but at least I won big time."

The detective nodded at Shiemi and I. "You will not be held accountable for your actions at that time. You are not in the wrong. It was good that you protected her."

I saw Rin blush and look at his feet.

"Well," the detective started. "Thank you for this. The police will get in contact with your principal and send officers through to conduct a search. Please follow me to the exit."

"Thank you," we all said in unison.

"So he's gonna get arrested?" Sakura asked Aki, who also happened to be the god at trivia.

"Depends." And he didn't say any more.

"What's wrong?" Rin asked. "You're all tense. What's going on?"

Aki stopped in his tracks. "I feel like there's someone there."

Suddenly Sakura burst out laughing. "He can sense their presences and pinpoint their location. He's a superhuman."

Aki held a finger to his mouth. "No, guys, I really think there's someone there!"

I smiled. "It probably just your imagination. When you get home you should probably--"

I was cut off by the loud gunshot that rang through the air, piercing my ears and making us all fall to our knees with our hands over our heads.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Thank you for reading the seventeenth chapter of this story! I'm sorry I can only post one chapter a day because of school, but over the weekends I'll probably post two. What sucks about writing is that you spend like 40 minutes writing a chapter that takes a reader less than 5 minutes to finish. But I'm having fun writing this story, and I hope the 80 minutes I spend continuing this story gives you 10 minutes of entertainment. Thank you! Please follow my profile in case you want to read any of my other stories that I plan to write (about anime things), and also please vote on any chapter or comment down below to show me that you like this story, because it means a lot to me to know that people are liking my stories!