The Fight

Shiemi POV:

I had memorized Yukio's schedule from the days I used to fangirl about him. At this time, he was usually in a conference with a couple of other exorcists, that was over in about five minutes.

Rin and I stood outside the door, impatiently tapping our feet. I could hear Rin's stomach growling in protest to the lack of food. Mine wasn't that different.

"Ugh..." he groaned. "Yukio, hurry up...please...I can't last much longer."

I laughed. No one else I knew had such an obsession with food, let alone complained this much at having an empty stomach. He clutched his belly with one hand.

A bell's strike rang through the air, signaling the end of the meeting. Rin sighed heavily and threw his head back, causing his hair to fly everywhere.

Adults bursted through the wide doors of the conference building. Conversations flew through the air.

I looked out for the only person who even looked remotely like a kid. Yukio happened to be very mature for his age, so the only thing that would differentiate him from an adult would be his actual physical traits.

Suddenly, Rin launched forward, darting quickly into the crowd. He sidestepped others in an effort to not bump into anyone, but not everything was preventable.

But I didn't move. I didn't shift and follow him. Instead, I stared down at my hand. He didn't hold my hand, I thought. He didn't hold my hand like he used to.

"That's being dramatic!" I loudly whispered to myself. "Why are you making such a big deal out of it?! Follow him!"

"Are you talking to yourself?"

The boy with blue hair turned around to face me. "That's not good."

Suddenly, he darted at super-speed until he was right in front of my face. "Let's go!"

Now, there we go. He gripped onto my wrist tightly and dragged me forward like before. It's nice to have a sense of familiarity.

"Yukio!" he called. "Hey, mole face!"

I giggled. I'd always called him Yuki. It's funny to hear the other side of his nicknames, such as Rin's.

A tall boy turned towards the direction of Rin's cries. He blended in perfectly with the other adults. It must be just his brother that could tell him apart.

"Rin! What are you doing her--"

I caught up to Rin, who skidded to a halt in front of his brown-haired sibling, who looked at Rin. Then at me. Then at my hand, which instinctively latched onto Rin's arm.

A small sound came from Yukio's mouth, and I began to think. Did I do something wrong? Did Rin do something wrong?

But almost immediately, Yukio went back to his normal self. "Rin! So what do you two need?"

Rin gave his brother a toothy grin. "Money! I'm starving!" And just to prove his point, Rin's stomach let out a loud growl.

Yukio didn't hesitate. He reached into his wallet and pulled out...15,000 yen?!

Rin was taken back. "Yukio, this is 15,000 yen. We're just gonna pick up some quick food, maybe even fast food! Just give us 2,000 and we'll be good!"

Insistently, Yukio shoved Rin roughly with the money. I assumed it was brotherly affection at first and chuckled. But Yukio's expression said otherwise.

"Take it," he said in a cool, collected voice. "Use the rest later."

I looked at Rin, who stood, clutching the 15,000 yen to his chest.

He looked hurt.

Heartbroken. Desperate to want to follow his brother, who had turned around and already began to walk away. One of his arms was extended, wanting to reach to Yukio, but just missed by an inch.

He put that arm down at looked at his feet. "R-Right. I will."

I shook my head vigorously. What had I just witnessed? What's going on....between them? Did it have something to do with me? God, I hope not.

But as I was about to ask Rin what happened, he looked up at me.

And what broke my heart the most was the happy smile pinned on his face. That was clearly for show.

"So, we have all this money! Where d'ya wanna go?"

I have to respond without sounding too worried. I tried my best. "How about we just get a large bowl of noodles or something? It'll conserve the money we have now."

"Right! Let's go, then!" He grabbed my hand, which I smiled at again, but something else was disturbing me.

His face was turned away from me intentionally.

I had no idea what I had seen go down between Rin and Yukio. But all I know is that it struck Rin deep in his heart.

Thank you for reading the forty-fourth chapter of this story! To compensate for the lack of action, I'll make it up with DRAMA!! Please vote, comment, and follow my profile and I update every day!