On Top

(and I PROBABLY used this pic before and I didn't bother to check if I didn't then good for me but if I did IM SORRY)

Rin POV:

Normally, there is almost no power on earth that can wake me from my sleep. Nothing can arise me from my deep and relaxing slumber. It's not always a good thing. I've run into many situations where my waking from sleep can mean the difference between life and death. Thank god something is there that can wake me. 

But this morning was weird. 

On average I get about 11 hours of sleep a night. Tonight, I got a mere five hours.

I woke up, startled that I remembered I had to bake that cake. Yawning, I groggily opened my eyes. I poised back, ready to sit up and stand. 

But something was holding me down. 

Rather someone was holding me down. 

My eyes went wide. On my chest was a head covered in glossy blond hair. Her chest was against my stomach, her legs lying next to mine. Delicate hands grasped my shoulders lightly with the strength of someone dozing off. I felt her rise and fall against me with her steady breathing.

How in the world did Shiemi manage to fall asleep like this? Was it on purpose? I blushed at the thought and relaxed again, not trying to sit up anymore. Now I had to figure out how to get up without disturbing the girl sleeping on top of me. 

I looked around the room. Aki and Sakura lay on the floor, spooning. It was funny to watch, for some reason. They're already so very attached to each other like they've had a crush on each other for years. Their relationship with each other was sweet and full of genuine puppy-love.

"Hold up," I heard someone whisper. I turned to look back at the couple, and Aki had his eyes open just a slit.

"What should I do, man?" I whispered back, assuming he knew what I was talking about.

"What should you do? Just stay there for a few minutes. Savor the moment, because it's probably the first time this has happened to you, huh?"

I silently chuckled. "So how's your cuddling going?"

Aki shrugged. "Eh, pretty good, pretty good. Of course, it's nothing special, it's happened before plenty of times--" He couldn't keep up the act and started to laugh, but immediately stopped when Sakura started to stir.

I got back on topic. "Right, so...should I just stay here? I gotta cook you guys some killer food before the two girls wake up."

I looked back down at Shiemi and smiled. I remember falling asleep mid-sentence and didn't wake up until now. There is a whole other side of the couch, and either she had adjusted in her sleep on top of me, or...this was purposeful.

She looked so incredibly innocent that I almost laughed. This moment was awkward, but I would probably remember it for the rest of my life.

"Right, you've had your precious moment," Aki interrupted. "Now you gotta get up and bake that cake that's gonna be the best we've ever tasted, according to you."

"How am I supposed to do that, exactly?" I questioned. "I'm sort of being pinned here."

I grabbed Shiemi's wrists, which were on my shoulders, and gently tugged them so they were by her sides. Then I slowly, carefully, precisely rolled off the couch until all of Shiemi's body was off of me and resting gently on the couch.

I fell on the floor with a thud. Groaning, a yawn escaped my throat. Shiemi hadn't stirred throughout me moving and creating a disturbance. I hope all of them get a good sleep. My five hours of sleep is really gonna affect me. That's five hours less than usual.

Suddenly, Aki lightly slammed his fist against the floor. "Dammit!" he exclaimed. "I should've taken a picture of you two! Then you could show Shiemi what she did last night

I took one last look at everybody. Shiemi was resting peacefully on her side, covered from neck to feet and further in a thick, fluffy blanket. Aki had an arm draped around Sakura's side, who was curled up in a fetal position. Aki turned his head slightly and caught me staring at them. He simply winked.

I smirked in return and headed out in search of the main kitchen.

The main kitchen was like heaven for a chef.

The pantries were full to the brim and stacked with every basic ingredient needed. The refrigerator was huge and organized, the mechanisms were top-notch technology, the cooking tools were clean and ready to use.

I whistled lowly. This room was beautiful.

This kitchen had everything I would need for an elaborate, beautiful birthday cake. I had to make a mental note to myself: birthday cakes and Christmas cakes were two completely different things. But for the past 15 years of my life, that was the dessert Yukio and I had for our birthdays. Even though our birthdays were on the 27th of December, Christmas was so close that our monastery ended up mashing the two holidays.

This year, I wasn't gonna accidentally make a Christmas cake.

I quickly grabbed some ingredients that I needed and set to work.

Thank you for reading the thirty-sixth chapter of this story! I really have nothing to say...we're almost at 1k reads! I didn't even realize this story would get that many reads, and I started writing it just for fun. But I also want other people to have fun reading it as well, which is why I'm still writing it, and I'm still enjoying it a lot. Thank you so much, everyone! Please vote, comment, and follow my profile and I update every day!