Enemies: Heart and Mind

Shiemi POV:

He had awoken.

And his eyes, his soft blue eyes that regarded Yukio and I with anger, had also fallen with despondence.

"How....how..."

There was no way I was gonna get out of this one. But maybe, just maybe I could improv enough to make him hate me even more than we probably already does. I could use this situation to my advantage.

"Rin..." I let my hand that was snaked around Yukio's neck fall to my lap.

He pointed a trembling finger at me, then his brother, and back and forth. His gaze displayed hurt that melted my heart. He had given me his love, his care, and in return I had to break his heart. He deserves better than me.

Deep down inside, I wish I had never done the things I did. Said the things I said. I wish we were back at our dorm for two. I wish we were laying on the couch again, both of us under the same blanket. I wish I could feel his warmth, his skin, his comfort as we I would fall captive to his presence. How I wish we could be so foolishly in love like before.

"You...why?..." he continued to stammer. Beneath my stubborn and deceiving facade I tried to give off, I was dying on the inside. Crumbling to pieces under the weight of guilt I felt on my heart. Rin didn't do anything wrong. He did everything right. It was all me!

How could I live with myself after this? After all I've done, after I practically took advantage of him, of his emotions?

Tears made Rin's beautiful eyes glisten and shine in the moonlight. His mouth trembled, his face ghostly and pale. A shaking finger was extended, continuing to point at us in disbelief.

"Rin," I began. "It's..."

I was so tempted to burst into tears. To spill my feelings upon him and admit everything that my heart felt, that my brain didn't. My brain told me to leave him, to prevent him from getting hurt by me anymore. But the heart wants what it wants. And right now, it wants him beside me.

I had to stay strong for both of our sake. I couldn't let my true emotions get in the way of my brain.

So, as much as my heart said no, I lifted my hand back up to Yukio's face and planted a passionate kiss on the corner of his mouth. Then, I told him to exit the car and let me and Rin talk. After that, my plan would be improv. I just hope it doesn't go horrible.

Yukio closed the door behind him and stood out into the humid night. It was just me and Rin. Rin, who looked about to pass out where he sat.

"It's not your fault, Rin," I started with. It was true, and I couldn't help but say it to his face.

"Damn right it's not my fault!!" he shouted. Startled, I launched back at his hostility. But again, I didn't blame him. It was not his fault.

"What happened, Shiemi?" he whispered, for it was the loudest volume he could muster. "Why did you say those....why did you say what you said?"

I was about to buckle under the stress and pressure. I didn't want to leave him. That's what my heart wanted. But I knew it was the right thing to do.

"That's over now. The point is that I'm with Yukio now."

Suddenly, I regretted my words.

Rin clenched his fists so tight I could hear it. And without responding to me, he swung open the car door and began to get out.

"W-wait!" I yelped. He stopped mid-motion, but didn't meet my eyes. Part of his face was covered entirely by his blue hair. It just made the moment more dramatic. I fidgeted in my seat at his overwhelming presence.

"I have to warn him," he said.

What did he mean? Oh god, no. Please, no!

"I have to warn him not to make the same mistake I did."

And with those words, and my hand extending towards him, the door slammed shut.

Suddenly, cries of angst and resistance rang through the air.

I pressed my face against the window. What was going on?

All I could see were guns, pistols to be exact, being tossed off of the side quite a distance away. Oh no. This was not happening. What had I started?!

And just as I was about to burst out of the door, Rin had his brother pinned to the ground, and one of his closed fists was swinging down faster than anything I'd ever seen.