Chapter 33: I Am... (Stefan & Yerin POV)

First Posted On: October 12th 2017

Last Updated On: October 12th 2017

~ ~ ~

(Stefan POV)

"I'll take over from here..." I gestured to Yerin as a sign for her to head off first. She seemed reluctant to go, but in the end, she did take her leave; leaving just Jinyoung and I alone in the alley.

Ever since the horrible revelation that Madam K was still on the loose, our lives haven't been without hitch. Come to think of it, it was not even six months since the four of us were able to meet together. How quickly our lives changed during that time...

Especially for Yein and Yerin.

Think about it; they were strangers one day, and then, amidst uncertain biological ties, became trusted friends another day. Just when the truth was about to be set in stone, the devilish Madam K stepped in and made them strangers again.

And then, Jinyoung is all distraught that Yein cannot even remember her past.

He began to walk ahead. Perhaps concerned about what unnecessary trouble he might cause, I tagged along with him.

"Stefan...please let me have some space..." Jinyoung seemed uninterested in my company.

"You can't go on like this forever," I reminded him. "Madam K-"

"Caused all this?" he was on edge already, "I know. And that's why I can't let it go..."

Huh?

"You can relate right?" he faced me. "How can a motherly figure be merely a mask to conceal her hideous intentions? We lived with her for more than a decade for crying out loud, and we had all that time...but never stopped all this!"

He did have a point...but with recent events, it was also possible that Madam K had physically concealed herself from us. The Madam K whom I saw as my mother for years, and the Madam K that trained Jinyoung to be an assassin, might be her fakes after all.

"Stefan..." Jinyoung gave me a solemn look, "might it be...that I will never get to tell Yein how I truly feel? Will I ever get the chance to return those feelings?"

"You must really love her that much..." I realised. "It was obvious from the beginning though."

"Yah... Is this a time to joke?" he tried to lighten the mood.

"Jinyoung, what is stopping you from telling her that?" I asked him. "You are scared to overwhelm her? On the contrary, she needs to be overwhelmed."

"Waeyo?" he seemed confused.

"All the Madam K fakes we have seen," I thought back to our last battle, "they seemed to have the upper hand every time. That's because they have psychological strength. Having that makes a significant difference between winning and losing a fight."

"Then how does Yein come into the picture?" he wondered.

"Even if Madam K did brainwash her," I continued, "she probably didn't take into account Yein's psychological strength. If you keep reminding Yein, eventually she will remember you and the times you two shared together prior to her kidnapping."

"But..." Jinyoung was still unconvinced. "the Yein we know is mentally strong. Remember, she didn't initally believe in Yerin about them being siblings."

"It's the best way to recover the Yein we know though..." I told him. "Becky and I can vouch that." (A/N: See Book 3, Chapter 23)

I couldn't forget that moment. Even though it wasn't a case of memory loss, without Becky's persistence, I might never have woken up.