Chapter 35: Loved Ones (Yein & Stefan POV)

First Posted On: April 30th 2018

Last Updated On: April 30th 2018

A/N: Once again, thank you for bearing with my inconsistent updates till now.

~ ~ ~

(Yein POV)

(~The Next Day~)

I woke up to a thin ray of sun poking through the window in the room I slept in. After the flashbacks that I saw last night, I couldn't really come to terms with this place anymore. Everything felt so...strange.

I had come to realise that this is not where I belong. The person who everyone in this building saw me as is not the real me. And it is my duty to show everyone the real me...

...if I can find that 'me'.

Yet, something or someone kept holding me back from breaking out of this shell. For some reason, I never found the courage to question why I was even in this building.

My gaze turned to the floor, a habit which I have gotten used to already. Normally, I would get the day's instructions from under the door and from then on, things would proceed as per usual. This time, instead of the usual command to focus on experimenting new substances for some chemical development, I got an invitation to see the so-called team leader.

Suspicious? I'd say so. But an instruction must still be followed, so I left the room and made my way to the meeting place (as shown on the paper). After last night, I decided to remain wary of the people around me.

But there was a more pressing matter at hand: the fact that I'm going to meet the team leader. Is he or she a nice person? What might she say to me, a regular worker?

My feet led me to the dining room table. On some of the less busy days, I would find myself having a meal here. This time, it wasn't the warm food of breakfast waiting for me, but a tablet. I didn't ponder much over it, so I just sat down and switched the tablet on. Following the instructions, I proceeded to make a video call to the team leader.

"Annyeonghaseyo," a rather mechanical-sounding female voice resonated through the tablet speakers. It didn't help that she covered her face with some mask, so the whole video call idea was worthless.

"T-T-Team leader-nim?" I stuttered. This is unfamiliar territory.

"Yein sshi, I believe I'm speaking to that person?" she droned on.

"Maja..." I replied. "At your service."

"Truthfully, I've been paying close attention to you, Yein..." she sounded more normal now. "You are one special girl indeed."

She isn't wrong...

"So special that a five year-old toddler found you too precious to suffer like he had..." continued the lady.

Why does it seem like I've experienced something like that before...? Was it part of the flashbacks that I had...?

"Want to know what suffering the toddler faced?" she challenged. "He lost his memories for more than a decade. Otteokae? He behaved so maturely when he put his childhood aside to save someone special. If only I had a kid like him..."

"What's your deal, team leader-nim?" I spoke cautiously.

"Isn't it unfair?" she scoffed. "That girl whom he accidentally saved had a good life filled with memories that wouldn't leave her...unless someone intervened."