Chapter 38: Conflicted (Yein & Jinyoung POV)

First Posted On: January 14th 2019

Last Updated On: January 14th 2019

~ ~ ~

(Yein POV)

A part of me now regrets rashly escaping that dungeon where I was kidnapped.

Freedom was supposed to feel exhilarating, refreshing and liberating. But in the initial hours trying to find some form of shelter in this forest, I felt nowhere close to my impression of freedom.

First problem: I was unfamiliar with my surroundings. Even though I have left the building a few times before, I was transported in the back of a van that had no windows. I knew now that it was Madam K's precautionary plan in case I remembered the way to town. Smart thinking from her...which further proves that she is a real person.

Second problem...I probably didn't think this escape very wisely. Were there any further implications because of my actions? I mean...though this was a solo venture, the back of my mind wondered if Madam K was also prepared for this and inflicted harm on anyone who might know me...

...like Stefan, Yerin and Jinyoung?

Ani...she's already dealing with them in her own way. There's got to be some more people at risk...

Searching for the shelter took all day. It was already nightfall, but I still ambled aimlessly and blindly amidst the dense trees. Even though it was an almost full-moon night, I knew the lack of a decent light source would make this venture dangerous, but it is still better than imprisonment and memory loss.

Speaking of memory, the most I could recover was the faces of Yerin, Jinyoung and Stefan. How they are related to me, I still wasn't very sure just yet, but the visions of Yerin made me assume that she was someone I should hold dear to.

And Jinyoung...how should I face him? From the last meeting we had on the street, he had a pained expression on his face. What did that mean...?

Ok, that aside, when day breaks, I have to recall the way back to the town.

Fortunately I found a clearing and decided to pause my search for civilisation for now. I had collected some branches and leaves along the way for this eventuality and made a makeshift bed. Tiredness set in and I closed my eyes...but it was not a dreamless sleep...

(Dream)

"Yein...Yein!" a lady was calling me.

I recognised that voice. Vaguely. It had some kind of leader-like flair in it too. If only I could see a face...

"Ne unnie?" I answered the voice automatically. Weird...

"Remember your greeting, alright? This is our first appearance as a group and as the maknae, you must have aegyo," she advised.

Who was she...? And aegyo? How does one act cutely...unless asked to at least. Wouldn't that be too much cringe?

Time suddenly shifted and I heard a new voice:

"Gwenchanna Yein ah... Even if the rumors hit me hard, what matters is the group is still strong...right?"

Rumors? Group? What even...? Were they my friends or...?

"Jokbal party!" another vaguely familiar voice echoed. Oh...I remember the taste of jokbal. It was such a heavenly taste...with friends...

"Bbangdeokie!!" This time I was calling someone and a chubby-faced girl approached me smiling.