Chapter 17

Sierra's pov

I wake up and there's a note beside the bed. I hear Jason cooking breakfast. I'm confused. I grab the note. "Gone to the studio. Be back later." I freeze and stand up. "Jason?" I call, dropping the letter, still hearing someone in the kitchen downstairs! "Jason!" I call again. Silence. I rush down the stairs, trying not to freak out. I pick up a baseball bat to use as a weapon and I run into the kitchen. "Huh?" I whimper dropping it. Miranda put a plate of bacon and eggs on the table. "Morning, mom." "M-M-Morning." I mumble, my hands shaking. She pours a glass of orange juice. I shakily sit at the table. She hugs me. "Mama please stop worrying. Don't be sad. I'm okay. I'm happy. I'm.... Free." She gently lays a hand on my stomach. "You need to be here for the babies. Worry about them. Think about them. Not me." She kisses my forehead then vanishes.

*she wakes up*

I wake up shaken and back in my room, my heart racing.

Jason's pov

I hear Sierra freaking out. I groggily sit up and grab her shoulders. "Baby what's wrong?" "I... I... J-Just... A d-dream." She shakily puts her hand on her stomach. "I... I'm sorry I woke you." "I told you a million times. You don't gotta be sorry." She starts to cry so I hug her. "Theo and Kim are gonna know about their big sister." I smile and nod. "Of course they are."

*a few weeks later*

"We laid a lot of memories down! Like tattoos on this town!" I finish that song and walk to the edge of the stage. I smile hearing the crowd chanting my name. "I can't hear you!" I laugh when they shout louder. "Are y'all ready for this shit! Tupelo, I said are y'all ready for this shit!?"

Sierra's pov

I love seeing him onstage. He's so energetic and full of life. He sings hicktown then closes the show. He walks back here and Mike tosses him a beer can for his signature beer can bust. I laugh softly then he comes back. "You were great out there." I say, holding his hand. "It was sure rockin'." He says. Mike waves to us. "What's up?" Jason asks when we reach him. He looks nervous. "Well... Um... I'm not sure how to say this without upsetting you both but there's a girl from the make a wish foundation." My heart almost stops and Jason freezes up. "I.... A... A g-girl with cancer?" He shakily asks. Mike nods. "H-How old is sh-she?" "She's 13 and her name's Michelle." Tears fill my eyes. "Oh Jason!" I gasp hugging him. "Just go back to the bus, baby. I'll handle this."

Jason's pov

Mike takes Sierra back to the bus and I nervously go to the VIP room where Mike said they were. I take a deep breath and put on a happy demeanor before walking in. "Hey guys! Great to meet ya!" The little girl is in a wheelchair. I force a worried smile and sit beside her. "It's so great to finally meet you! I listened to your music all the time during my treatments!" "I'm really lucky to have such awesome fans." I say hugging the little girl. "So did ya enjoy the show?" "It was the best one I've ever been to!" "Is it your first show?" "Actually my 17th. Before I got sick. Me and my dad would follow your tour stops." She says laughing. "I'm such a fangirl." "That's the best kind of fan, I'd say." Her dad looks like he's about to cry. "Hey, I'll be right back." I head backstage and grab the guitar I used earlier. "Hey someone I need a sharpie." A stagehand brings me one. I sign the guitar and get my cowboy hat and sign that too. I walk back in and hand her the stuff. "W-Wow for me!?" I smile and nod.

*20 minutes later*

Her dad was talking to someone on the phone. It wasn't pleasant conversation. "Ever since I got sick, mama and daddy fight all the time." I overhear part of the argument. "Melissa this was her last chance at happiness. I wasn't gonna let her sit in that hospital room, miserable!" Poor guy. A couple minutes later, he gets off the phone and says they have to go back to the hospital. I worriedly stand up. "I'm so sorry for what you're going through." "Thanks for tonight. It's always been her dream to be a singer like you." I smile. Michelle is pretty much asleep. "I'll be up to the hospital to see her again tomorrow." "Really? Why?" "Because that's just what I do." They go back to the hospital and I can't stop thinking about Miranda. My life wouldn't be the same without having met that wonderful bright eyed little girl. I've got a perfect loving wife. I've got two kids on the way. And all of it happened because she was a fan of my music. "I'm eternally grateful." I whisper, tiredly walking back to the bus.