Chapter 42

Miranda's pov

"What the?" I gape. It's a long tunnel. Where does this lead? I crawl through it and there's another tiny door! "Um.... Hello?" I say, pushing it open. I hear whistling. I sneak to the doorway and gasp in surprise seeing Mom! I turn back around confused. "Mom?" I gape. She turns around and I almost scream when she has buttons for eyes! "Y-You're not my mom!" I cry, backing up. "Oh Miranda, I'm your other mother!" She says smiling. "Other.... Mother?" I whisper nervously. "Go get your other father. It's time for dinner." This is too weird. I shakily go up the stairs to his songwriting room. I knock on the door. "Dad?" I gasp, nervous. What's going on? What is this place? I open the door and see dad with his guitar. But he also has button eyes. "M-Mom says it's time for dinner." I shakily say. He smiles. "Man, your mama sure can cook!" "How's the song coming along dad?" "Finished it." He says standing up. "Let's hurry and not keep your mama waitin'." This is weird. We go back downstairs. "Where's Kim and Theo?" I ask suspicious. These people obviously aren't my parents. My parents don't have buttons for eyes. There's a big turkey dinner. "Where's Kim and Theo?" I ask again. They exchange worried glances. "I.... Uh.... They're not here today. Hanging with some friends." My  other dad says, sitting down. I fix a plate. "Want some gravy on your mashed potatoes?" My other mother says. I nod. She flips a switch and a train zooms over and dumps gravy on my potatoes! I laugh. "A literal gravy train!" I gasp shocked. "What do ya want to drink?" The other dad asks, pointing above my head. I look up confused to see a soda machine. "Whoa!" I whisper excited. "I can have anything?" He smiles. "Of course. Anything you could ever want." Wow! I like this place.  After dinner, we play board games. I'm having so much fun! "Does everyone have other parents?" I ask. "Of course." "Why haven't I seen you before?" "It took a while to find you." She says hugging me. "We love you, Miranda." Wow. I love having other parents. They tuck me in to bed.

*The next day*

I wake up in my bed back home. Not with my other parents. "Drat." I whisper walking downstairs. Mom was in the kitchen, her head in her hands. Dad looked ticked off. "What's going on?" "Someone stole your mother's laptop." Whoa! "I had everything on that!! Everything! The past year gone!" She gasps crying. "I'm sorry honey. We'll try our best to find out who did this." He says hugging her. While they were distracted, I snuck to the fridge and got a pudding cup. "What're you doing?" Uh oh. "Nothing." I say. "You can't have pudding for breakfast young lady." "Aw but dad!!" I gasp. "I'll make ya something for breakfast and you can have pudding at lunch." I sit at the table, annoyed. "My other mother would let me." I whisper.

Jason's pov

"Oh I forgot to tell you." Sierra says, standing up. "What's up?" "Miranda cursed yesterday!" My eyes go wide. "What?! Why?!" "Cause I wouldn't run to the store for a popsicle for her." "I can't believe it!" I gasp surprised. "You've never cussed." "I got mad." She mutters. "I didn't mean to." "Well don't be swearing ever." Man I don't think she liked this move. She's been acting out alot since. I get to work making breakfast.

*A few hours later*

Miranda's pov

Dad calls my name. I go to the living room. "What's up?" "Sit down." He says, arms crossed, both mom and dad looking mad. "What's wrong?" "I found her laptop." Dad said. "Oh good! You didn't lose your writing." "We found it under your bed. Why'd you take my laptop?" Mom says shocking me. "I didn't take it!" I gasp, standing up shocked. "Then why was it in your room?" "I don't know!" I shout. "Are you sure it wasn't to get back at her for not getting you a popsicle?" "No!" I say, steamed. "I didn't take it!" "Well I know we didn't. I know Kim and Theo didn't! So it had to have been you!" "B-But!! I didn't!" I shout desperate. "Go to your room!"

Jason's pov

She runs up the stairs. "I hate you!" She yells, slamming her door. "What are we going to do with her?" Sierra says, shaking her head. "Why is she acting out like this?" I gape frustrated.

Miranda's pov

I didn't steal the stupid laptop!! Why would I do that??! And why don't they believe me?! I'm so mad. I wait til it gets dark then I sneak to my other parents. "Mom!" I say, hugging her. "Oh Miranda it's so good to see you again!" "What's for dinner?" "We're going to be fun and have dessert for dinner!" Whoa!! "COOL!" I shout, excited. Mom and dad laid out a bunch of yummy treats. "Yum!" After we stuffed our faces, I helped her with the dishes. The buttons over their eyes still freak me out a little. But they're definitely better than my real parents. "We want to talk to you about something important." Mom says. I sit at the table. "You do like it here don't you, Miranda?" I nod. "Oh very much!" "Well do you want to stay?" I stare at her shocked. "Can I?" She smiles and nods. "We would love it if you can!" "I really want to!" I gasp, standing up. "There's just one thing we need to do first." She said. Dad walked in holding a wrapped present. He handed it to mom. She took the top off and my stomach twisted. "W-What?" I whisper, seeing buttons. "You can pick whatever color you want. They're so stylish." She said, tapping her own button eye. "Everyone who lives here as them." Dad says, putting a hand on Mom's shoulder. I shakily stand up. "I... I don't want buttons on my eyes." I shakily say. "Why not dear?" I rush to the tiny door and throw it open. My heart stops, seeing a brick wall instead of the tunnel home.