Chapter 8

Her Final Words

Jason's pov

I was packing up her stuff to take back home, trying not to start crying. I have to be strong for Sierra. She needs me. Even though I'm on the verge of losing it. I pick up her book. Her favorite book. To kill a mockingbird. She loved this one. A piece of paper slips out. I confusedly pick it up. Dear Jason, everyone knew this was coming. I wasn't gonna make it so don't be too sad. That's why they let me have my final wish. To meet you. I know mama is upset please take care of her for me. She needs someone as strong and brave as you. And don't worry I'm in a better place. I'm not hurting anymore so you shouldn't either. I'll never forget what you did for me. Just don't forget this little southern girl. I love you. Take care of mama for me. Goodbye. Your daughter, Miranda. By now I'm in full blown tears. "I'll never forget you baby girl, I promise." "Promise what?" I spin around, almost dropping the book. Sierra. "H-Hey baby." I say. "Promise what?" I show her the letter and she bursts into tears. I hug her tightly. "I'm so sorry, Sierra." "Don't be." She whispers. "What?" "Don't be. She's happy. She's.... Free." She runs out of the room, crying her eyes out and I sit on the bed, hating that I can't help. "I will take care of your mama, little girl. I promise."

*a few days later*

Sierra's pov

I force myself to walk up there to the casket. She's like an angel. She looks like she's sleeping. I hold her cold lifeless hand. "We all knew it was coming so why does it hurt so bad?" Jason's arms wrap around me. I put my hands on his arms, sobbing hard. "Oh Jason!" I turn around and he pulls me to my chest. "I've got you." He says, his voice shaking.

Jason's pov

I help her sit down and take the book out of her bag. To kill a mockingbird. When she was too weak, she'd ask one of us to read it to her. I walk back up to the casket. She's wearing a dark brown wig and a beautiful red dress. "Fly high you beautiful angel girl." I whisper, putting the book beside her. "You alright, Jay?" Luke asks, resting a hand on my shoulder. "She loved that book." I say. "And no I'm not okay, my daughter is dead." "I'm here for you, man. Whatever you need." I force back the tears, trying to stay strong for Sierra. I force a smile and hug him. "Thanks buddy. That means a lot to me." I sit beside Sierra and hold her crying shaking figure.

*later*

"You've been my rock throughout all this, Jason." She whispers, her head resting against my chest, my arms wrapped tight around her. "I'm here for you, sweet girl. Whatever you need, I'm here." "I'm going to miss her so much." "Me too, Sierra."

*the next morning*

I get up and make some coffee.

Sierra's pov

I stare at the wall, fighting back tears. I hear Jason doing stuff downstairs. "I put my baby in the ground yesterday." I whisper, wrapping a fist around the pillow. The door opens, making me jump.  Nobody is there. "J-Jason?" I call, sitting up. "Yeah?" He's still downstairs. I slip on a robe over my thin nightgown and put my houseshoes. "Sierra? You up baby?" "I-I... Almost." I call back. I hear him walking up the stairs. I feel the cat we got her, purring at my feet. Jason appears in the door way. "The... The door... Op-Opened by itself." I whisper, pointing. He glances at it confused. "Baby come on downstairs breakfast and coffee are on the table." He takes my hand. But I can't pull my stare away. He guides me downstairs. "Th-Thanks... I... Don't know what happened up stairs." "Nothing hun. You're okay." We eat breakfast and I go lay down. I can't stop thinking about the door opening by itself