Chapter 44

Miranda's pov

I walk back to the house. The other mother was different. Her body was spider like. It was creepy. "Just in time for dinner." She says, crossing her arms with a knowing smile. I take a deep breath, trying to hide my fear. "I know.... You like games." "Of course." She says slowly. "Who doesn't like games?" "Well... I want to play a game. A hide and seek game." "Oh. Really? Sounds interesting." "You hide the key. And I have to find it. But it has to be findable. If I find it, you have to let me go. If I don't..... You.... I'll stay here and you can see buttons on my eyes." I say with terrified regret. She smiles wickedly. "Alright. We've got a deal. Good luck." The whole room seems to darken. I'm standing in the garden when the lights return to normal. I saw the other father but he just like Brian doesn't want to do this to me. Weird. Why do the other characters care about me? "You've got until the button covers the moon." I hear her voice but I don't see her. She's not going to make this easy. The ground is all gray here. This other world is falling apart. The other father points to the tractor. "A hint." I whisper smiling. I rush over to it. There's a glowing sphere where the stick shift should be. I pick it up and it teleports me to the woods.

*A few hours later

I comb the woods to try and find another glowing orb. That's how I'm going to get home. I find it and it teleports me back to the house. "Wow. That was fast." She says. "Where is it?" She smiles. "You've got to find it." "Why'd you lead me back here?" "This is where the key is hidden." I grit my teeth in anger. She sent me on a goose chase so I'd lose time. I see something glowing in her waist. "It's on your person." I say, pointing. She gets this rage filled look in her eyes. "Good luck getting it off me." "Oh I can." "I'd like to see you try." She growls with an evil smirk. Anger fills me. I grab a knife. "With pleasure." I drive the knife into her stomach and shock fills the hollow woman. Her body falls apart into dust and I get the key. I rush to the door and yank it open. I see the tunnel and not a brick wall. Relief hits me in the gut and I crawl through, tears burning my eyes. "Mom! Dad!" I shout, bursting through the door. The house is empty. I'm shaking. "Mommy?" I whimper, closing the door and making sure to lock it. "Dad?" I hide the key. "Theo?" I hear footsteps. I look up at the stairs to see Kim. "KIM!" I scream in tears. She starts to cry too and runs down the stairs, wrapping me in a hug. "Oh Miranda thank God! Where have you been?" "I... I w-was kidnapped." I whimper crying hard. She pulls out her phone and I break down in tears seeing Mom's number.

*Later*

My parents and older brother get home. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry. I'll never run away again!" I gasp hugging mama who was also crying. "I love you Mommy!" Both my amazing parents hugged me. "We're so glad you're okay." Mom says. "Who did this to you?" Dad asks. I can't tell  them the truth. "It doesn't matter." I whimper, shaking my head. "Of course it does honey. I need to stop whoever it is so they can't hurt anyone else." I cry even harder. "I... I k-killed her. Sh-She was pretending to be mommy. And wouldn't let me leave."

Jason's pov

Shock fills me. My little girl killed someone. Well she takes after me more than I thought. "It's okay, Miranda. You're not in trouble. We're so glad you're home." "I didn't take mom's laptop. I swear!" "I'm sorry we didn't believe you." I say hugging her. I'm so relieved. I thought I lost my little girl again.