Chapter 13

Michael's POV

     "We need to come up with a name first. Without a name, we can't actually be a band without a name," Chance protests, and Sergio nods behind him with his arms crossed.

     "We need to actually practice. The first round is in a little over three weeks. We don't even know what song we are singing," Drew spits back over the invisible border that has been in the room since the five of us came in here to practice. We supposed to be working together as a group, but that obviously isn't working.

     "How about you guys decide on a song and think of band names at the same time?" the teacher that is supposed to be supervising us but is only on her phone says. I think she is a new teacher.

     "No!" both Drew and Chance yell at the same time. I sigh as I run a hand through my hair.

     "Fine," she breathes, offended.

      "Get over here Brady," Drew huffs at Brady who is sitting on a bench on his phone.

      "I'd prefer not," he tells Drew, looking up from his phone for a split second before looking back down.

      "Guys we've been here for an hour already. Nothing has been accomplished," I try to give them a reality check, but no one pays attention.

      "The forms are due this week. We can't enter without a band name," Chance goes back at Drew.

      "But we won't have enough time to plan anything out if we don't start practicing the performance," the same thing that has been going on for an hour continues. Sergio looks just as done with this as Brady and I. I walk over and sit on the bench next to Brady.

     "What're you doing?" I ask, making him shrug.

     "Nothing," he gives the cliche answer. I raise an eyebrow. He seems nervous.

      "You're obviously doing something. Come on. I'm your friend," I nudge his shoulder. He jerks his phone back

     "I'm just texting someone," he admits, slightly blushing.

     "Oh my gosh you're texting a girl. I'm so proud," I enthusiastically give him a side hug, patting his back.

      "W-wha...," he starts, confused.

     "You're bright red like a Scarlet Ibis," I tease, referring to a bird we had to do a huge project on last year. It's a bird that is naturally bright red.

     "I am?" he questions, and I nod.

     "Totally. Now, the question is who are you texting?" I ask, having a general idea already of who he is texting in my head.

      "No one," he tries to deflect it.

     "So you're texting Courtney?" I ask quietly in his ear, and his eyes widen.

      "W-what?" he stutters. He is flustered, meaning I got it right.

     "You're obviously texting Courtney. There's no other girl that you'd text besides your sister," I answer, his face still being beet red.

     "You two, join the group," the teacher scolds us, but neither of us move.

      "No, Living it Up is a terrible band name. Besides, we are deciding the song right now," Drew scolds Chance just like he has been doing.

      "What's going on between you and Bella?" Brady asks in attempt to change the subject.

       "That's not what we're talking...," I start talking before Bella walks in with food.