Chapter 2

Michael's POV

     "Where have you guys been? We had to send Drew out to get you," Mrs. Martin scolds both Brady and I as soon as we walk into the room.

       "We apologize Mrs. Martin. We were coming in a timely manner before we got interrupted," Brady apologizes for the two of us.

     "Please tell me it wasn't those nasty kids who hate all eight of you guys," she frowns. Brady looks down as I rock back and forth on my heels.

      "The 'popular kids' led by the biggest asshole in the whole school," Drew spits, making Mrs. Williams laugh. She's been the academic league advisor ever since the current seniors have been freshman, so she treats us more like her kids than students. She doesn't care if we cuss in front of her.

     "From what I've hear, Mr. Perez does seem difficult," she responds, and we all nod. Chance Perez is the biggest jerk out there to the eight of us, but we've grown immune to it. 

      It all started with his beef with Drew, which evolved into something much more extreme. It's created a division in the school, setting Drew's friends, the eight of us, against practically the whole school. Since Chance is "the most popular guy in the whole school", everyone follows him in a heartbeat. If he tells everyone to hate us, they do. The one thing he is good at is building fake trust between people. He treats tons of random people like they are his friend, when in reality his friend group is only 12 people. The boy just has everyone at his command.

      "He's atrocious," Brady laughs before sitting down. I sit down in one of the plastic chairs set up.

      "Andrew," she starts the role call.

     "Here," he responds.

      "Jaden."

     "Right here."

     "Cam."

     "Here."

      "Jon."

     "Here."

     "Drew."

     "Present."

      "Michael."

      "Here."

       "Brady."

       "Here."

      "Dorian."

      "Here."

     "I have some bad news," Mrs. Martin frowns, looking down.

     "What is it?" Jaden sits up straighter.

     "You eight are the only people who signed up for academic league this year,"  she tells us, which doesn't seem that bad. We'll just be a more close knit team, and we have practically the same team as last year, and both our JV and varsity teams won nationals last year.

       "Then it'll just be more concentrated," Dorian says, making her sigh.

      "There are only eight of us, and there has to be at least five people on each team," she informs us, and the room becomes completely silent. The teams are determined by age, meaning the three sophomore are the only people on JV at the moment.

       "What are we going to do?" Cam asks. Mrs. Martin shrugs.

      "Do you guys have any other friends who would want to join?" she asks, and all of us shake our heads.

      "Girlfriends who might want to join?"she asks, causing us to all break out in laugher.

      "Nice joke Mrs. Martin," Andrew laughs, making her confused.