Chapter 1

This book is going through proof reading to fix grammar errors, so bear with me as I am also writing the sequel. But anyways, enjoy!

——————-Alex's POV———————

I walked out of my college building with my best friend, Kayla, when I saw my Mom and Uncle Shane standing there waving me over. "Uh, I have to go Kayla, talk tomorrow?" I say with a small frown. "Yeah of course!" Kayla replied with a smile on her face.

I quickly hug her and run over to Mom and Uncle Shane, My long, blonde hair bouncing up and down. Moms Eyes looked red and puffy like she was crying a minute ago and Shane looked more guilty then ever. "Mom, Are you okay? Were you crying?" I ask as I come running up. Immediately she started bawling her eyes out as she used her hand to stop the sound of her sobs.

Shane puts his arm around her, rubs her back, and says to me "Alex, don't freak out but..." Shane trailed off and Confusion spread across my face. " What is it?" I ask, wondering what has mom so upset and him so guilty. "Well..." he continues "At work today Rick got shot..." He trails off again as he sees the shock expression on my face.

I feel my eyes tear up and use all my energy to keep them from spilling. "Is... is he okay..?" I ask in a small voice sounding nothing like my own. "Yes, he is at the hospital now. We came to pick you up and go see him." He responds giving me a soft hug.

I softly nod my head, to stunned to answer properly, and walk slowly to the car as Shane helps Mom into the passenger seat. As I open the car door I see Carl swing his head around quickly. His eyes were red and tears were streaming down his face. I instantly get in the car and pull him to my side as I whisper comforting words in his ear. "It's okay Buddy, I got you, it's okay." Carl looks up at me, "he will be okay, right?" I nod slowly, "yes bud, dad will fight through this, he is strong never forget." Carl just nods.

I feel the tears coming back and no matter how hard I try I can't hold them back. I start sobbing with Carl still tangled in my arms, About ten minutes later Carl and I both stopped crying and stared blankly out the windshield. I could hear mom sniffling in the front. Shane started mumbling words softly to Mom. " He is okay Lori, he is gonna be okay I promise."

As we reached the Hospital I gently started untangling myself and Carl when I realized he has fallen asleep. I motion to Shane and show him Carl is sleeping. Shane nods in acknowledgement as he goes around the car and helps mom out. He then turns around and, as gently as he could, picks Carl up and rest his head on his shoulder.

I climb out of the car feeling numb. We walk inside the building and Mom grabs my hand. I look up at her and she looks down and gives me a sad smile. I manage to return the smile and quickly realized how broke Mom and Carl seemed. I need to stay strong for my family.

As we enter the hospital the lady at the front desk looks up "Well hello again, I'm willing to guess that you're here to see your buddy?" She says looking Shane dead in the face. Shane shifts his feet but answers confidently "Yes, I brought his family this time too." The women chuckles, "of course you did! For a minute I thought that was your wife!"

I look at Shane and see he is visibly getting annoyed with her 'flirty' behavior. "Well we are gonna head back and see him," he says as he starts walking away, Carl still in his arms, only now awake and yawning. "Would you like me to lead you to his room?" She ask politely. "Not necessary," Shane responds without even looking back. I could see the hurt in her eyes as Shane turned her down. I looked at Shane and see him smirking as he enjoyed the silence. I held back a laugh.

As we entered the room, the laugh I once held back was replaced by tears. I walked up to the bed with Carl beside me. I look back a see mom has left the room and was standing in the hall with Shane, just looking at dad while she sobbed. Dad looks pale, dead. The only thing that told me he was still here was the beeping of the monitor watching his heart rate

After a few hours of just sitting in silence a nurse comes in and tells us visiting hours were over. As we walked to the doors, Carl's hand in mine, I took some time to organize my thoughts. I still have homework to do, Carl and Mom look just as broken as I feel, and dad is in a coma and not waking up anytime soon. Great. Just great. Can this get any worst?

I regret asking that question...

——————
Vote and comment :)