Chapter 42

———— Alex's POV————
The next few days seem to fly by. I'm numb from Dales death and find myself following Daryl around camp like a lost puppy. I barely speak, barely eat, and barely notice the glares my dad throws at me and Daryl. Barely, but still notice.

Daryl has been nothing but kind, surprisingly. He brings me food and forces me to eat so I don't starve, makes sure I sleep enough, and overall makes sure I'm okay. He never touches me though, because of dads glares.

All I remember of the past few days is dad deciding to let the kid live, in honor of Dale. They are going to let him go far from here. I sit by the fire with Carl by my side, every time I'm with him I feel myself coming back, slowly. I feel a whole lot better, but tend to keep to myself unless I'm needed.

I stare into the fire and try to remember what life was before. Parents arguing, Boring school, training as a cop scared for my life. I can't figure out if that was better then this. If this never happened I wouldn't have met Glenn and Daryl. I have to admit, my feelings for Daryl have grown, and him being right here but not close enough is eating me alive.

"Rick!!" I hear Shane yell, I look up and see his head is bleeding. Rick runs over to him, "the boy attacked me and got away!" He yells. "We have to find him!" Ricks eyes go wide. "Glenn and Daryl come with us. Grab your weapons and let's go."

"I want to go," I say quickly. Dad instantly turns me down, Saying it's Dangerous. For one that's bullshit, this whole life is dangerous, but I don't argue. Instead I watch then run to the woods. I stay with Carl and tell him Dad will be fine. "How about you go find mom and help her with something?" I suggest.

He gets up and walks off. I sigh and rest my head in my hands. I don't know how long I was in the position till I heard approaching footsteps. I look up and see Glenn and Daryl. "Dad? Shane?" I ask. "Split up. We found the boy, dead. A Walker." Glenn says.

"Yah but he wasn't but, his neck was snapped," Daryl adds. "How is the possible?" Andrea asks softly. "No idea," Daryl says. The we hear a gun shot. We all turn in the direction. We see nothing, hear nothing. Silence. "Everyone get inside, it's not safe anymore." Maggie says. Everyone starts heading inside.

"Carl? Where is Carl?" Lori says frantically. I look around. He is gone. "I told him to help you with stuff," I say. "Check the house," Herschel chimes in. I run in and check every room, calling his name. My heart stops with I check the last room and he is nowhere to be seen.

I head to the front door where everyone is huddled, look out. "Not here," I say. Lori starts freaking out and I start pacing. I feel arms wrap around me and breathe in Daryl's scent. I calm down and fine myself wanting more from him, but know it's not the time. Definitely not the time.

"Walkers!!" Carol yells. We all look where she is pointing, "holy shit," Glenn says. I stare at the massive group of zombies heading this way. We all react and grab guns, some hiding in the house, others taking position on the porch.

A few people get in cars to shoot and drive around. And they go, it's a shit show. To add to it the barn is now on fire. I see Dad and Carl outside waving for a car or something. "Go help them!!" I yell. The RV makes its way Obed there and I see them get in top and down safely. Thank god.

———— Daryl's POV————
I'm taking walkers down one after the other. There are too many to count, we have to leave. I start telling people to get out of here, then hop on my bike. I drive around shooting as may as possible. I see people driving to get other people then leaving. I am about to go, but something stops me. Alex. I search around for her and see her shooting, Damn she is perfect.

I drive over to her and tell her to hop on. She doesn't listen at first. "We needa leave Alex!" I yell. She thinks, then gets on. "I need to make sure my dad and Carl are safe before we leave," she states. We look around and eventually see them get picked up in a car and take off. I take off after them, but get cut off. "Shit," I mumble and take another way off the farm. Once we get a safe distance away I pull over.

We get off. "Where are we going to go?" Alex ask me. "Highway!" She answers herself. I chuckle. "What?" She questions. I walk over to her, "nothin' important," i say softly. I'm inches away, god i haven't kissed her in so long. Her hands go on my chest and my heart beat picks up. She grasps my shirt and pulls me to her, then kisses me.

She kisses me softly, then rough. I pull her as close to me as I can, but it's not enough, it will never be enough. Her hands go in my hair and I back her up against a tree. We break the kiss and her forehead is against mine. "We have to go," she says, then she slips past me and heads towards the bike.

My heart drops and I watch her walk away. Did I do something wrong? I shake my head and follow, start the bike and hop on. I wait for her to get on. Her arms wrap around my waist so she doesn't fall, but my heart starts pounding. I ignore it and we drive off, towards the highway.

Hope you enjoy, comments and votes are always appreciated!!