Chapter 27

————Alex's POV————
I wake up and immediately notice the pain in my side. I let out a small groan and slowly lift only my head, being careful to keep the rest of my aching body still. I see a bottle of water with a plate of food on the night stand. I keep looking and see Daryl, asleep in the chair across the room. I smile softly. I was expecting to see My dad, Carl, or even my mom. But seeing Daryl is a nice surprise.

The door opens, and I whip my head around to fast. I groan, but stay sitting up. "Well, glad to see you awake," a guy with blonde hair, brown eyes says to me. I smile a little and he sends a charming smile back. "I'll go get my father, he is the doctor. I only help." He says before walking away. I nod and turn to see Daryl getting up and leaving. I try calling him back, but he ignores me.

A minute later my dad, Carl, mom, and Glenn are in the room. They all smile at the sight of me being awake, but can't come over because an older man said he has to check me. Must be the guys Father. "Im Herschel," he introduces as he checks my wound. "Alex. How long have I been out?" I ask. "3 days," Dad answers. I nod, not as long as I thought.

"All set. I suggest you stay in bed for the next day or two before you start moving around," Herschel explains. I don't protest, moving he slightest bit sends pain up my side. Herschel left and Dad and Carl recapped everything that has happened. Carl was also wearing dads hat.

They finish telling me of the last few days, then leave me with Glenn. "You know, Stayed in her ever since the surgery ended," Glenn said. "Really?" I asked shocked. Glenn nods. We chit chat for a few minutes more before he leaves. I sigh and lay back. There is a knock on the door. "Come in!" I yell. The door opens and Herschel's son comes in.

"Hey, uh. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Daniel." He says. "Alex," i respond. He nods, then we start talking about the beginning of every. "So where were you?" He asked. "Well, i was home, getting ready for school. My dad was in a coma then, we thought he was dead. Shane told us to pack bags, then picked us up. Me and my brother, Carl, fell asleep. While we were asleep, Shane found this group. Me and Glenn became best friends and my Dad found us. Now we have just been in the move. We came from the CDC," I explained everything. He Nodded, and commented here and there.

I ask him where he was," well I was getting water for the chickens. I came back Into the house and my dad, sisters, brother Shawn, and mom were watching the news. It was talking about the virus, making people sick. We watched, then a little later saw one of the sick on our yard. Shawn went out to try  and talk to them. Then it bit him, like took a chunk out of his neck...." Daniel trails off and I rub his arm, encouraging him to continue.

He takes a shaky breath and continues, "Dad shot the man in the head, we went to get Shawn. I carried him Inside. That night he died, but dad thought he was just asleep. Mom was in there, Shawn bit her on the neck. We heard her scream and saw him rip away, blood gushing from the wound. We trapped them. Dad thinks they are just sick, but I know they are dead. That's not my brother or mother, not anymore." He ends, on the edge of tears. "I'm so sorry," I say. He just nods and wishes me goodnight.

I lay in bed and recall Daniel's story. I feel pretty lucky that we left with no casualties. Besides believing dad was dead, but we didn't have to go though watching our family get ripped apart. I sigh and gently lay down and close my eyes and sleep washes over me.