Chapter 5

-------------Daryl's POV---------------

Right when Merle let go of me I stormed off into the forest, grabbing my cross bow on the way. I needed to think. I walked for a while until I came up to the river. I set my cross bow down and laid down. Why did I attack Shane, it wasn't my right to interfere. But I just couldn't let him hit her and get away with it. C'mon Daryl you know better. No need to protect her, she can protect her self just fine. but she couldn't then... I sat up, that was my problem, I wanted to protect her, keep her safe. but Why?

I was brought back to the present world when I heard someone speak. "Hey Daryl." I quickly turn around and point my cross bow at the maker of the sound. I see Alex standing there. I put down my cross bow and stand up. "Why are ya here?" I ask. Not that I don't want her there, but I need to know why she came after me. She frowned. "Because Dummy, I'm here to thank you for beating the shit out of Shane." She says. I walk up to her and look at her cheek.

There is a cut on her cheek. "It was nothin', he shouldn't have hit ya." I say as I reach my hand up and touch her cheek. when I do, she tenses up. I hold back a smirk as I drag my rough thumb across the cut on her smooth cheek. I was still looking at her cheek and felt her hand on my wrist. As I tense up on reflex, I knew I shouldn't have. She Smirked and I knew why but asked anyway, "What's so funny?" I look at her. "Nothing," she replied with a smile. Jeez that smile must have gotten her a ton of dates.

I realize my hand was on her cheek and quickly pull it back and go to sit down again. As hard as I tried, I couldn't stop the heat rising to my cheeks. C'mon Daryl, pull it together. I think to myself. "Daryl..?" I hear her ask, like she was shy. I felt her sit besides me. I turn and look at her, "yeah?" I asked. She turned her head away, and I could have swore she was blushing. "Never Mind," she says, stilled turned away. I place my hand on her shoulder and she tensed up again. "Ya sure?" I ask her. She nods in response.

--------------Shane's POV--------------

After a while in my tent thinking, I go to find Alex and apologize. I walk out of the tent and see Glenn. I walk over to him, "Hey Glenn, you Know where Alex is?" I ask. He turns around. "Why?" He ask, in a protective tone. I sigh, Jeez just spit it out, "so I can apologize, I feel bad," I answer, hoping for an answer. "Sorry, I don't know where she went. I fixed up her cheek after you slapped her and she went to talk to Merle I think." Glenn replied with a little anger in his voice. He must care.

I get a little angry that she went talking Merle, but I guess I can't really stop her now. I walk over to Merle, who is cooking some meat in front of his tent. "Merle, do you know where Alex is?" I asked once I got within ear shot. He looked up from the fire and smirks. "What did you do to her?" I ask harshly. "Well, I tried to flirt, but ya girl turned me down, askin' where Daryl was at. I told 'er and she went off."

I frowned. "How long ago was this," I ask. "Well maybe 'bout half or maybe hour or so," he answers, cooking his meat again. "Shouldn't they be back," I ask, worried now. "Yeah, Unless my baby brothe' finally hit it off with her and they are in the woods havin' 'fun' like you and Lori do," he responds calmly. I take a step forward. "How do you know about me and Lori?" I ask quietly.

"'Cause you do it right in the woods, and she ain't quiet," he answers with a laugh. I glare at him and walk away to start the fire for tonight. I also tell Dale to keep a look out for them and Send Glenn and Jim on a perimeter check. I hope she is okay.... I say to my self

————Alex's POV————
After a while of sitting in silence with Daryl, we agree to head back. On the way back we hear a walker in the trees. I spin around and put my hand on my gun, trying to locate the walker. I feel Daryl's hand on my shoulder and turn to see him mouth 'I got it'. I nod, then the walker comes out and Daryl killed it quick and easy. Once he collected his arrow we set off again.

Right when we step out of the tree line, back into camp, we hear Dale yell "They are back!!!" We look at each other and laugh, knowing we worried the group. Damn I love his laugh... wait what? Fuck... I walked over to Glenn and Amy while Daryl walks over to Merle. I hear Merle say to Daryl, "ya two were gone long, did ya hit it off with her?" I instantly blush while Daryl responds harshly, "No Merle, just shut up and let me sleep."

"Alex, are you blushing..?" Glenn ask me. "Uh, what? No.. Why would I be?" Glenn looks over at Daryl and smirks, but stays silent and gives me a look that says 'I'll ask you later'. "Everyone was worried about you, especially Shane." Amy said. "Shane was just worried because he didn't want to be the reason I ran off." I said coldly. "Actually, he came up to me and said he wanted to apologize and he felt really bad." Glenn said

I grunt and walk over to Mom, Carl, and Shane. "Alex!!," Carl yells as he runs up and hugs me, almost knocking me down. "Hey buddy, hey Mom." I say as Mom comes and hugs me too. "Alex, can I talk to you, please?" Shane ask me after Mom and Carl let go. I sigh, "yeah sure." He leads me to a place where we shouldn't be heard. "Look, I'm really sorry I hit you, I lost control, I was angry. Please forgive me." He looked honest enough while saying his little speech. "Alright, I forgive you," I finally say.

He hugs me, then Dale calls him over. As he is walking over to him, I felt someone staring at me. I look over and see Daryl's icy blue eyes burning into me. I smile and wink at him and he turns away. Just to piss him off, I say with a small laugh. I head into the tent to rest for a while.

I woke up later and walked out of the tent to see everyone sitting around the fire eating. Merle is the first to notice, "well, well, well, looks like Sunshine finally woke up," Merle comments as I take a seat Next to Glenn and Dale. Everyone laughs and I put my head down and grab a bowl. We all sit around the fire talking, nobody bringing up what happened today.

About an hour later, Glenn and I make our way to our tent. Once inside, he tells me he wants to talk. "Alright," I respond and sit on my sleeping bag. "Well, tomorrow," he began, he was scared to say it. "Merle, T-dog, Andrea, and I are going into the city to scavenge." He looks at me after saying this to see how I would react. "What? You can't! It's over run!" I say shocked they would risk there lives in there.

I was worried about the whole group going, but mostly Glenn. He was my best friend and I needed him here, and alive. "It's fine, we will stay off the ground as much as possible, and we won't fire any guns unless we really need to." He tells me, trying to reassure me. He comes and sits by me and gives me a hug. "Promise you will come back safe?" I ask softly. "Yes, I promise." He responds quietly. I nod and we both lay down in our sleeping bags for the night.