Chapter 21

————Alex's POV————
Daryl turns away and I sigh. Glenn sees my reaction and puts his arm around my shoulders for a side hug. I smile up at him. "Alright, lets go checking these cars. Carl, you can help me." Dad says. Carl's face lights up and he quickly follows Dad.

"Sophia, stay with me." Carol says to her daughter. Sophia nods and follows her mother. "Wanna go with me?" Glenn ask. "Nah, I'll be fine." I replied. I really just need time to think. Glenn is an amazing friend and I tell him everything, but my mind is the only friend I need right now.

He nods and we both walk off. I go a little further then everyone else, I mean someone is gonna have to check these cars. I'm searching through cars, I found 2 flashlights, and some ammo for my gun. I also found a knife.

I started to search another car when I felt someone grab me around my waist. I went to scream, but a hand went over my mouth. "Under the car." I hear a man say. I instantly recognize the voice.

It's Glenn. We crawl under the car and I see feet shuffling by. I could be dead right now if it wasn't for him. I make a mental note to thank him later, but for now I'm gonna keep quiet.

A walker falls, thank god is facing the other way. I scoot closer to Glenn and his pulls me closer. I bury my head into his chest till I don't here the groans and moans of the walkers anymore. I start to get out when I hear a scream.

A little girl. "Sophia!!!" I hear Carol yell. I quickly get out from under the car and bolt the way the scream came. I see a glance of Sophia, along with 2 walkers following behind. I jump the rail of the highway and keep running.

I hear footsteps behind me and glance back to see Dad. I turn back around and keep running. We cut through the trees and we catch up to Sophia. Dad picks her up and runs a little ahead. We get to a creek and I turn. I hear them getting closer.

I reach for my knife and realized I didn't have it. I left it in the RV. Shit. "Dad, I don't have my knife and we can't fire a gun." I say. "I don't have mine either." He says with a sigh. "Why can't we shoot them?" Sophia asks, fear lacing her voice. "It will draw the rest of the herd that just passed us." I answer

"Here, get in there. Squeeze in really tight. We are gonna lead them away. You wait here. If we don't come back, go back to the highway. Keep the sun on your left shoulder." Dad explains to Sophia.

"What don't leave me!" She says kinda loudly. "Be brave Sophia. You will be okay." Dad says. I see the walkers come out from the woods. "Dad, we gotta go." I say, not taking my eyes off of the walkers.

We go out of the water and each call a walker. We go different directions and I only stop when I Find a rock. I knock the walker down and crush its skull. I head back to Sophia to see her still there. We start heading back when I see 2 more walkers.

They notice us. "Sophia, I have to lead them away. Go that way back to the highway and remember what my dad told you." I say softly. I see fear in her eyes, it she nods. I run out and start calling the walkers. Once I have their attention, I run. They follow. I find another rock.

I knock the first one down, and crush its skull. I turn and am knocked down by the second walker. I hold it away with my arm in its neck. I reach for the rock with my other hand. My finger tips brush it and I reach as far as I can.

I finally grab it and smash its head in as well. I sit up and catch my breath, then head back to camp. When I get there is see Dad is already here. "Where is she?" I hear Carol ask. I freeze.

"She isn't back?" I ask. I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Everyone shakes their heads. Glenn comes and hugs me when I look down. "I went back for her once I killed the walker following her. We were walking back when 2 more walkers showed up. I pointed her in the right direction and led the walkers away." I say, looking to meet Carols gaze.

She stands and makes her way over to me. "You left her out there???" She asked harshly. I was about to answer when she slapped me. My head jerked from the impact and my cheek stung like a bitch.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "Sorry ain't good enough," She says before walking away. "I know." I say and start to walk to a car. I hear someone talking kinda loudly and see its Daryl. He is talking to Carol. I turn and kept walking.

I got to a kind of clean car and sat on the hood, looking up at the sky. I felt the Hood dent a little to my side and see Carl. He was struggling to climb on with me. I let out a small laugh and help him up.

He smiles at me and we just sit in silence. We haven't done this in a while, I was always on runs, or helping people. Or just hanging out with Glenn. Finally he breaks the silence.

"She is a bitch." He says. "Carl! Watch your mouth!" I say. "Sorry!" He says, holding his hands up. "Please don't tell Dad." He pleads. "I won't. Just don't do it again," I agree. He nods. "Why do you think that though?" I ask.

"Because you went to help Sophia. She didn't. Yet she is mad at you." He explained. I nod. Man he is growing up to fast......