Chapter 17

————Alex's POV————
Daryl and I walk over to the Dining area. We get there and see everybody else just got there as well. I take a seat in between Dad and Glenn. Carol and T serve us plates, then sit in seats of there own. We are all talking and laughing. Dale goes somewhere and comes back with Wine and Beer.

Everyone cheers and Dale gives everyone and glass. "Can I have some?" Carl ask, stopping all conversation. "You know, kids in France and Italy have a small cup of wine with dinner" Dale said, backing Carl up. "Well when Carl is in France or Italy, he can have some." Mom said. "It's fine Lori. Let him have some." I say a little harshly. "Go ahead Carl, only a little." Dad says.

Carl smiles as Dale pours a little wine into his glass. Everyone is silent, waiting for his reaction. He brings the cup up to his lips and takes a small sip. "Ewwwww!" He exclaims. Everyone breaks out in a laugh. "Stick to pop kid." Shane says. Everyone laughs again.

"Not ya Chinaman." Daryl says. "Huh?" Glenn ask confused as Dale pokes him a drink. "Keep drinkin', I wanna see how red ya face can get." Daryl said, most people laughed, some people just nodded. I looked back to my food and ate, listening to the conversation going around the table.

"You want some?" Dale asked me, motioning to the beer. I'm not a big drinker, but I agree to have one bottle. The night went on, full of our laughter and conversation. Most people were drunk. Dad, Shane, Daryl, and Glenn were the worst. I just finished my first drink. I didn't plan on getting drunk.

The first time I ever drank I got drunk. Some guy almost 'took advantage' of me. Dad came and 'told them off', well that's what he told me. I didn't remember anything. Everyone finished and was tired. Lori helped Shane to the room. Dad walked, holding Carl's hand, and Glenn was literally being carried to his room by T.

I saw Daryl stumbling to our room, so I went over and threw his arm over my shoulder to help him to he room. "I don't need ya help." He mumbled, pulling away from me. "Fine," I snap. I start walking towards the room when I heard a small bang behind me. I turn and see Daryl trying to stand.

I shake my head and sigh. I go back to him and help him to his feet and back to the room. This time he doesn't pull away. I open the door and go in, plopping him down on his side of the bed. I grab one of dads shirts and some shorts to sleep in, then go to the bathroom to change.

When I come back out, Daryl is also changed. He is in some shorts. Thank god he remembered and he isn't in his boxers. He see me come out and watches me as I go lay on the bed next to him. I turn off the lights and turn on my side. I close my eyes, then feel an arm placed around my waist. I try to push it off, but instead he pulls me to his chest, my back barely  brushing it.

I sigh, knowing, even if he wasn't drunk, he wouldn't let me get up easily. I thought I would be awake forever. But instead, I had the really good nights sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I woke up to the sun coming through the window. I opened my eyes and saw Daryl, his arm around my waist. Then all of last night came flooding my memory. I gently lift his arm, trying not to wake him and get trapped. After about 2 minutes I got out and dropped his arm. Still asleep. I quickly change.

I glance at a sleeping Daryl one last time before heading to the eating area. When I turn the corner I see T and Carol in the kitchen, and Carl sitting at the table. "Hey bud," I say to Carl as I sit down. "Hey." He says back with a smile.

"Morning!" T yells to me. "Morning," I say back with a laugh. Carol laughs too. "Dad will be hung over." I say to Carl. "What's that?" He questions. Of course, he doesn't know what that is. He is still a kid!

"Well, when you drink a lot at night and then go to bed, then when you wake up you have a really bad headache and it doesn't go away for a while." I explain. "He didn't drink that much." Carl argues. "No, he drank enough to get hung over." I say with a laugh.

"I bet he won't." Carl argues again. "Alright. I bet my Chocolate bar. What do you bet." I say. His eyes get wide at the mention of chocolate but he stays silent and thinks of what to bet.

Just then T placed a plate in front of Carl and me. I smile and thank him. "I know! I'll bet my 2 piece of bacon." He says with a smile. I shake his hand to seal the bet. We wait a while, just talking. Finally, Dad came down stairs. "Hey Dad, are you hung over? Alex said you would be." Carl says. I see him smirking, thinking he is right.

"Yes Carl, I'm hung over. Did she tell you what that means?" He said. Carl's smirk fades, but he nods to answer he question. I smile, "give me my bacon." I say. He grumbles and hands me his bacon. I laugh and give him one back.

He smiles and starts to eat. I eat too. Soon Shane, Daryl, and Glenn come down, all hung over. Glenn seems to be the worst. He has his head in his arm and is groaning. "Never, ever, ever lets drink again." Glenn moans. T laughs and places a plate of just eggs in front of Glenn.

He slightly pushes them away. "Eggs are good for hang overs. They have protein." T says to him while handing the others plates of there own. Glenn picks his head up and takes a few bites.

Jenner comes in the room and gets a lot of "morning doc," and "Hey doc." Then Dale speaks up, "Hey doc, I don't mean to hit you with questions first thing..." he trails off. "But you will anyway." Jenner answers, grabbing some coffee.

"We are not here for the eggs." Andrea snaps at Jenner. I glare at her. There is no need to be rude, Jenner has given us more than we expected. Jenner didn't answer, just motioned us to follow him. He went into the big room

"Vi, show us test subject 19." Jenner said to his computer. A big screen turns on and shows us a person laying down. It zooms in And shows us the brain. "This is the human brain. All this here is your memories, experiences, and personality. It's what makes you, you." Jenner explained. Everyone nodded.

"Vi, forward to first event." Jenner said, still looking at the screen. "Scanning to first event." Vi says back, changing the screen. The brain on the screen went black, and Everyone gasped. "What happened?" Andrea asked.

"The infection kills the brain." Jenner replied. "Vi, skip to next event." The screen changes. "We heard the change can take as little as 3 minutes or as long as 7 hours." Jenner explained as we watched. The brain has this red light filling the middle end of it.

"So it restarts it?" Glenn asked. "Only the brain stem, the part that gets you up and moving." Jenner said. "So is it alive," Rick asked. I don't think it is. "You tell me," Jenner said matter of fact-ly. "It looks nothing like before, most of the brain is dark. So no, it is dead." Rick says, answering his own question.

"Uh, doc. One last thing. What is the clock for. It's counting down from 60. What happens at zero?" Dale asked, pointing to a big clock on the wall. I didn't notice it before. It looked like it was counting minutes.

"The backup generators in the basement run out of there juice. We lose power." Jenner said, not meeting anyone's eyes. "Shane, Glenn, and T. Come with me to check the generators out." Rick says, leading them out. I return to my room and make sure every thing is packed and ready to go just in case.

Chapter 17! Hope you enjoy. Please Vote and Comment!