Chapter 36: Cigarette Lighter

I sat in a sparing room with Clyde watching him attack robots using his invisibility. Occasionally he would use that same ability to smack me upside the head.

It was annoying and I was tempted to smack him back. But I let the kid have his fun. "What are you doing out of your cage?" Mrs. Sader barged in.

Ouch. "He's helping me train." Clyde said appearing next to me.

I glanced up at her and gave a sweet smile. "At first I was astonished that Satan could produce such angels."

Clyde punched my chest really hard and I stumbled back laughing through the pain.

"Your sister will be coming soon. She will pick you up in about an hour and a half."

"Aww. Brook is coming." Clyde frowned.

"Brook." I mumbled. I forgot he had a sister.

"Try not to get killed. Put it back in the cage after you finish playing with it."

"Fuck you." I snapped. Clyde turned around and Mrs. Sader glared at me as she closed the door.

"Your mother is a horrible woman."

"Yeah but don't say it out loud...."

"Who cares?" I shrugged.

"This isn't Hydra anymore. Start caring about how people feel and people will start caring about you...."

"Clyde I told you before. It's not like I don't have feelings. I choose to ignore them.." I laughed.

"I won't hurt you...." he mumbled sitting on the floor.

"Yeah I know. You're like 5 feet ta-"

"I meant emotionally you dip stick"

I hesitated and averted my eyes. "I'll try my best not to hurt you..."

"That's all I ever ask." He said. I stared at the group of robots feeling awkward because I don't think he understands how truly broken Hydra needed me to be in order to mold the perfect soldier.

"Marcus... it's... it's perfectly ok. While your sister runs around doing things.... I'll be here teaching you how to act in the real world."

I nodded and got up. "Want to go for ice cream?"

"Ice Cream?" I asked.

"Um.... ok pizza?"

"What the fuck are you saying. The hell is that?"

"What did Hydra feed you."

"Mondays was white macaroni with vegetables. Tuesday was meatloaf and mash potates. Wednesday was left overs from the first two days. Thursday was pork and string beans. Friday was a soup day. Saturday and Sunday was left overs. If there weren't any left overs. You got some eggs...." I laughed remembering.

"That's all you ate? How long have you been in Hydra?"

"Since I was like 5. So 13 years...."

"Do you want to try pizza?"

"Sure..."  Clyde led me out of the spar room to the cafeteria

•—————————•

I woke up to a darkened room with the blinds closed. It's 1 am. I went to sleep 3 hours ago what the hell am I doing up. Something has altered in the house. I untangled myself from Brook and made my way silently through the darkness making sure she wasn't awoken.

Something must have tingled my senses. I opened the bedroom door to a wave of cigarette scent. Brooklyn doesn't smoke. At least I hope not. I wiped my eyes and watched as someone light their cigarette on our couch.