Chapter 47: The Devil's Den

We sat in one of the unoccupied agent dorms on the helicarrier. Brooklyn held my nose while I took deep breaths. She snapped the dislocated bone on my nose. I flinched and felt a little light headed. "You stupid fucking idiot." She snapped putting a bandage over it. "I didn't need saving." She flicked my forehead.

I smiled. "I didn't do anything wrong. I was attacked. I wasn't trying to save you." I said in my defense.

"You were attacked by a short-tempered agent. He dislocated your nose and caused it to bleed." She started dabbing cotton under it but I kept feeling it drip. She pulled tampons out of her bag. "Then you snapped and kicked his ass."

"No...." I said glaring at them.

"Yes. If you get caught they will throw you in the prison without fixing you. My mother will make sure of it. I'll get you professional help after. But for now, I don't have any tissues, we have to use these."

"Why are you helping me?" I asked trying to figure out how to put the female sanitary product up my nostrils. I'm not putting plastic up my nose.... right?

"I care about your dumb ass believe it or not." She stuck the tampon up my right nostril. It was uncomfortable and obviously hilarious since she couldnt stop laughing.

"You care about me?" I asked in a baby voice.

She put her hand to my face and smiled. She shoved the second one in then wiped her hands of my blood. She avoided my question. "Anything else you need?" She asked wiping the remaining blood from my nose with an alcohol swab. I grabbed her hand and she quickly looked at me.

"Why did you pull me off of him, instead of shocking me?"

"You are- I didn't- I thought- why did you follow me after I pulled you off?" She snipped

"You knew better than I do." I laughed

She looked at her wrist and pressed a button. "You're free. You don't have to tell me the giant secret. You don't have to hang out with me anymore." She ran her hands through her hair. I felt the contraption on my body fall into my lap.

"I unfortunately like hanging out with you..." I mumbled scratching the liberated area without thinking about what I was saying. My skin had a pale circle with a red outline where the shocker used to be.

"Why would you want to hang out with me?" Brooklyn laughed. "If I can recall you like Clyde more."

"How do I say this without being corny. It's like, I need you around to help me know what's good and bad. I could have killed that guy. I was planning on it too. But you stopped me. I trust your opinion and judgment."

"So you're saying you need me?"

"Yes. Basically." I said. She put her hand on my hand.

"I need you too." She smiled. I started freaking out. She was looking at me all affectionate and I was just being awkward. Her mouth skewed as she moved her hand. She took a deep breath. "Marcus..... I just- you are literally a prisoner of Shield." She scoffed putting her face in her hands. "Why why why."

Where is this going? She put her hand on my face again and sighed. I didn't want her getting too close. I didn't know what my breath smelt like and I had tampons in my nose preventing me from inhaling. "I didn't mean to be such an asshole to you in the beginning. Shield just takes the more mature agents more seriously."

I moved the hair from out her face so it was easier to see her expressions. "Marcus. I like you. A lot."

My eyebrows lifted unsure if this was still part of the mission. "Can I... I want to kiss you but I don't want you hurting me."