Chapter 39: Cupid

Brooklyn decided it was time to get to know me better. But I could see through her bull shit. It wasn't that hard. Not even Clyde cares that much about me. Speaking about Clyde, I began to see less of Clyde because Brooklyn has been taking up most of my time.

I felt like she was falling in love with me. I'm not being conceited trust me. She put too much effort into bumping into me and talking to me. Don't get me wrong. She was really good looking. I'd be an idiot to turn down a once in a lifetime offer....

But Viviana was really pretty too. I wasn't planning on going down that road again. So I made it my mission to make her fall in love with me SO much that when I reject her she will know that love is fake and you should only care about yourself. She needs to learn it from somewhere. Everyone needs to learn it.

Then again. I didn't know the first thing about manipulating people into loving me. "Marcus!" Brooklyn smiled without an insult.

I gave her a rare wide smile. "Hi Brook."

"I have this shield mission soon... I asked Fury if you can tag along. He said yes

"Well I hate missions but I like spending time with you." I patted her head. She pulled me in for a hug and I immediately tensed up.

"I know you don't like hugs... It's just." She pulled apart and her face was red and covered in tears.

Oh god dammit.

"My family is just... Going through some stuff.... I just can't do this mission alone..."

"I'm not the person to talk to about this."

"But I just feel safe when I'm around you. I just need someone to be around me." She said intertwining her hands and mine.

I started blinking in disbelief. This is easier than I thought. "I haven't been able to talk to anyone. I just need to know someone is there."

"I've never had a family so I can't help."

"Can you just hold me?" She got closer and leaned into my chest without permission.

I patted her back awkwardly "There.....There?"

She started to calm down and wipe her eyes. "Sorry about my little episode. Thank you Marcus. I really appreciate and care for you." She kissed my cheek and sniffled some more.

I grabbed her hand and led her to Fury's office. If I seem like I care maybe she will like me more.... I mean maybe she will fall into my trap. I opened his door and found him on the phone.

"Nick. Give Brook the day off."

"One. Don't call me Nick. Two, she has a mission to do."

"I'll do it. I haven't done anything at all in the past two weeks."

"Marcus you don't have to." She curled up onto my arm.

I looked at her and smiled. "I know but I want to. For you." I winked.

She gave me a smirk and awaited Fury's answer. "Sure why not. I'll brief you in a few minutes."

We left and she squeezed me until I had to pry her fingers off. "Alright..." I smiled

"Thank you so much!" She kissed my cheek again and waved leaving.