Chapter 45: The Baby

It's been a couple of weeks. I still had the device on my body. Brooklyn has been paying less attention to me now. She's focused on school and her work. She completely forgot I was under her control. I'd sometimes just sit patiently next to her and listen to her study or watch her fight. Something about her just mesmerized me.

She was determined. I liked her work ethic.  I felt like I was getting way to attached to her. She isn't even shocking me or forcing me to be near her. I just always was. Of course, her mother got even more resentful towards me.

Her mother used to hold a gun to me and I stared at her knowing she wouldn't do it. More times than not Brooklyn took the gun from her hands and unloaded it. 

I feel like she's grown accustomed to me. Like I'm her pet. I'll take it. It feels good to be wanted. I was often scared of the feelings that shared for Viviana coming back.

I used to try and distance myself but she just always came to be near me. I never had a problem with it. The feelings had me confused since I was still being held, hostage. Do I have Stockholm Syndrome or am I overreacting? It took a month, a month for me to realize that I liked her. Even with the taser on my body.

She seemed like she tolerated me but I doubted she wanted actually be near a monster, so I suppressed every single feeling I had for her. Around the time where my sister and I found our parents, Riley called it a crush. She accused me of having a crush.

She knows more about the outside world than I do. She kept her mouth shut thank god. But after coming back from the fiasco in Washington State I gave Brooklyn a tight hug and she reciprocated. I let go of her feeling awkward because I don't normally do that.

"Are you feeling ok?" She gave the sweetest laugh. I could help but watch her and worry. This can't be like Viviana again. Please don't let this be like Viviana...

We went back to the helicarrier and I stayed at her hip once more. I felt so happy just even being in her general area. Even just looking at her filled me with joy.  I just wish I shot my shot sooner.

•------------------•

Arizona's POV

I sprawled on the couch fighting back a nap that is long overdue. The TV was muted and I was just listening to pop songs on the loud ass radio upstairs. Kyle came through the kitchen and leaned on the wall.

His injury is healing well thankfully. "You seem tired." He said eating ice cream.

"What makes you say that?"

"Because you haven't asked for any." He raised the cup. I laughed and sat up. "It's been a lazy day." I rubbed my eyes trying to get rid of the lint.

I made room for Kyle and patted the seat. He sat and I checked his side. "It wasn't bleeding when I checked it this morning." He said lifting his arm. The doorbell rang and immediately after,  frantic knocks erupted. I checked the window to see Nathan and one of the Marshal siblings. Can't tell.

I opened the door and Marcus looked at me half awake. He had a five o'clock shadow with red stubble and his hair was just a mess. He was in a blue t-shirt that had liquid and food stains on it. He was only wearing socks and he was slouching. His eyes were barely open.

Nathan held his hand and gave me a smile. "Is he ok?" I motioned them inside.

Kyle gave a little wave and continued to read the captions on the muted TV. "Yeah, he's just a little....broken?" Nathan responded

Marcus let out a scoff and returned to his pained and tired face. "Why did you bring him here?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Because I don't know. Something happened with Brooklyn-"

"They sort of broke up. I think. That's what Riley told me. She said she doesn't wants to see him again until he changes." I said ready to pull up my phone.

Marcus sunk lower and kept his face towards the floor. "Poor baby," I said rubbing his back. "I still don't know why you brought him here."

Nathan led me into the kitchen. "He's been squatting in my house for a week and a half. Ari... I can't take it anymore. I know he's going through shit but I can't stand the crying. Because I feel guilty for no reason. I can't keep comforting him every night. I need at least two-day break."

"You want us... To babysit your best friend?"

"When you say it like that it makes more sense. Glad you could understand." He said walking away fast.

I could bring him back to Nathan. But Marcus looks like he needs something other than the impatient Nathan. I went back into the living room to find Kyle on the floor patting Marcus who was sitting and slouching

Marcus seemed calmer as he wiped tears from his eyes. This is the first I've seen him cry. His face and eyes were red and the blue of his pupils seemed to be more prominent. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to bother you guys. He promised me that he'd take me to the temporary house.

"It's ok." Kyle continued to pet him. "We'll find a ride for you alright big guy."

"Thank you-" he choked.

He looked away as soon as we made eye contact. "Do you want to tell me what happened?" I asked already knowing what went down.

His mouth opened but it was just to finish the ice cream Kyle gave him. I'm guessing he doesn't want to talk.

"Stay here." Kyle said to Marcus while unmuting the TV. He led me into the kitchen and folded his arms. "Arizona we-"

"Have you ever seen him so vulnerable? So... Miserable?" I said folding my arms. "He was in a ball Kyle, it's been a rough couple of weeks for him. It's for only 2-3 days. I'll take care of him. You don't worry your pretty little head."

He rolled his eyes for a good 3 seconds and sighed. "But Arizona..." He said grabbing my hand. "I won't get all of your attention anymore"

I smiled. "You'll loose some attention but you'll get most of it. You are still physically injured"

"Arizona?" A chilling moan came from the living room. Kyle made a quick little grimace and moved out of my way so I can go assist.

"You called?" I asked.

"How... How do you fix... How do I stop being an asshole?" He stuttered on almost every word. It was disheartening to hear him ask that. Even worse I didn't know how to answer him correctly. "Everything I do it seems to be... Just... Wrong. Am I even a good person anymore?"

"I-"

"Who am I kidding.....I'm asking the woman who's boyfriend I stabbed. I can't even conduct myself correctly anymore."

I thought about every word I could say. But I can't feel his pain. I've never done anything on the level of horror as he has. Of course, I forgive him now. But I can't relate. Relating is what I do.

Marcus sat back knowing he wasn't getting an answer from me and continued to watch cartoons. I stood there frozen. Kyle came out of the kitchen with another cup of ice cream and sat next to Marcus.

Oh shit. I forgot Kyle was one of those do-badders. I sit in the single chair listening to see how this all unfolds.