14

That Saturday Kerry brought the boy home. His name was Mathew Cook. He was nineteen, tall with dark blonde hair and brown eyes. He had a nice friendly face and worked as an apprentice Mechanic. He drove a Holden sedan and looked extremely scared as he sat at our kitchen table facing my parents. My father offered him a beer but he said no thanks. They stared at each other for a bit until Mathew glanced sideways at Kerry then said to my Dad.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Johnson. I know I've done the wrong thing but we love each other." My mother scoffed and realised I was in the room.

"Charlie, get out of here. This has got nothing to do with you." I sat in the hallway out of sight so I could hear what they said.

"I should cut your balls off you fucking horny little prick." I heard Dad hiss.

I grinned because I would have loved to see the guys face when he said that.

Then Mum was talking. "You are both stupid, stupid kids. You're both babies."

"Look...I'll marry her, Mrs. Johnson."

"You'll do no such thing. I won't have my daughter get married because she has to." There was a pause then she continued. "There are three choices and they're all Kerry's. She either has the baby and keeps it. She has it and puts it up for adoption or she has an abortion."

Mathew seemed to find some courage. "I'm the baby's father. I think I have a say here."

My mother was about to say something but my father intervened. "Janice let the boy talk."

"I know it's Kerry's choice. I'll stand by what she wants to do. But I think it's up to Kerry and me to talk about it on our own."

Mum almost yelled. "Well you make sure you talk about money and where you'll live and how it's going to make your lives harder if you decide to keep it. I will not allow her to marry you because she's pregnant. In a few years if you're together then you can talk about marriage. So don't you dare come back here and say that's the solution."

I heard her chair scrape on the floor. I bolted into my room. I'm sure she saw me because she came after me, closed the door and sat on my bed.

"Charlie, I know you've been listening. Don't you ever, ever do what your sister has done. Don't you ever ruin your life because some stupid boy wants to get his rocks off. Because that's all it is with boys, sex. Stinking, filthy sex! They don't treat it like the gift it is. Especially the first time. It's a game to them. To see who can get to the winning post first, so they can blab to all their friends and then the girl gets left with a bad name and a fat belly. Pigs the lot of them."

Mum sighed, got up off the bed. Bent and kissed the top of my head then left the room. She made it sound so horrible, like it was an evil thing. But maybe that's why she did it.

To scare me off ever trying.

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

I never really have a clue what to write at the bottom of each page. I hope you are enjoying the story and I'm sure some of you can relate to this. I'd love to hear your thoughts xoxo

Thank you all for reading.