35

The rest of the week passed quickly. Keean never spoke to me again. I did catch him looking at me in English but as usual he had an angry strained look on his face. I figured he regretted talking to me on Monday. He'd seemed quieter than normal if that was possible. I thought he might have said something to me in Chemistry but it didn't happen and I didn't have the courage to say anything to him. I figured I was right about the reason he spoke to me about Victoria. I just happened to be the person around when he needed to talk. Katie grilled me after every lesson to see if he had said anything to me. In the end I shook my head before she had a chance to ask.

"I don't think I'll wear the dress tomorrow, Katie," I said on the way home Thursday afternoon.

She frowned at me. "We had a bet."

"Yeah, I know, but I can't see the point now. He obviously doesn't like me."

"Who cares, Charlie? This is about you too. About you moving on, realising you're beautiful." She looked angry and sounded annoyed. "If you don't do this we are no longer friends, Charlie Johnson."

I studied her face. "You're not serious."

Katie clamped her lips together and nodded. "Damn right I'm serious. Forget Keean Crone and think Katie Callum. Think Charlie Johnson. You're never going to get what you want if you keep playing the poor me card." She looked right at me, stared into my eyes. "I'm done baby-sitting you, Charlie. You're on your own now." She strode off and turned around after a few steps. "I'll see you tomorrow. In that dress."

Then she was gone. I was left to think about what she'd said. She was right. This wasn't just about Keean. I needed to get my shit together. If Katie, my best friend saw me as a heavy emotional weight, what boy would want a girlfriend like that?

I turned up at Katie's earlier than usual on Friday morning.

She beamed and said, "I knew you had it in you." She motioned me inside and took a bite of her toast. I sat on her bed and waited for her to get dressed. She wore a cheesecloth peasant top and skirt.

"You look great, Katie."

She grinned and did a twirl so the skirt flared out. "Thanks...so do you." When she was finished dressing she pulled me to my feet and stood me in front of the mirror.

"You really do look great, Charlie but I'm making one change." She pulled the band from my hair. "No ponytail. Charlie Johnson is a big girl now," she teased and handed me her hairbrush.

"You really are a bitch, Katie."

"Yeah...but you love me."

We got to school earlier than usual and went and sat at our regular spot. Chris Hyatt and Peter Ember were there. They whistled as we approached them. "Woo...hoo! Where have you been all my life?" Peter called.

Chris sat with a big grin on his face. He couldn't take his eyes off Katie.

Peter sidled closer to me. "Hey, Charlie. First time I've ever seen you wear a proper dress. Looks great!"

"Thanks." I said as I felt my face heat up.

"Go easy, Pete," Chris laughed and jabbed him in the ribs. "You're embarrassing her."

"Katie made me wear it," I blurted so they didn't think I was up myself.

"Well good on, Katie." Peter clapped his hands as he spoke. "Nice work, real nice." He pulled a face like he was drooling.

I whacked him on the head.

We all laughed then Chris said seriously, "You really do look great, Charlie." He looked keenly at Katie and added, "But not as great as Katie."

She blushed of course and came back with a smart reply. "Give it up, Hyatt. You're just trying to get your end in." She was always so quick with a comeback.

He looked a little hurt but quickly recovered. "So how about it? Am I getting close?"

Katie gave him a 'You've got to be kidding look'.

They both stared at each other. Her face went brighter red.

Chris touched her cheek tenderly. "Look at that, Katie Callum going red. I think my debonair ways are working in my favour."

She cocked her head to one side and narrowed her eyes, "You've got a long way to go buddy."

"But I'm making progress. Please, Katie please...tell me I'm making progress," he chuckled, put his arm around her shoulders and squeezed.

Katie sighed, folded her arms and turned away from him. "Yeah you're making progress, you half-wit."

Chris high fived Peter, "Oh yeah!"

They carried on like idiots. Every time someone joined the group Peter pointed out I was wearing a real dress. In a way it was better he was doing this because I didn't feel so conspicuous by the time the bell went.

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Charlie is finally starting to get some attention ♥♥

Thank you all for reading. I'd love you to vote, comment and even follow if you'd like.

I really appreciate all your support