17

Katie got a crush on one of the seniors the next year. His name was Trent Jones. Honestly I thought he was a jerk but for some reason all the girls mooned over him. He had the features of a monkey, brown reddish hair and light freckles. I suppose his body was okay. He was short and stocky and because he was good at football he was up himself.

"Ah come on, Charlie you can't tell me you don't think he's cute."

I shook my head. "Katie...there is nothing, believe me, nothing cute about that guy."

She jabbed me in the ribs and whispered. "He's invited me to a party." "

You're not going are you?" I said.

"Oh yeah," she said excitedly. "But you have to come with me."

"No way, Katie! There is no way I'm going to a party with seventeen year olds."

"Arr come on, Charlie. Dad won't let me go if you don't."

I rolled my eyes at her. "And you think my parents are going to let me go?"

"No...but you can sleep at my house. We'll tell Dad we're going to the movies. Trent's got a car and says he'll pick us up in town."

"I don't like him, Katie. You know he only wants one thing. You know he did it to that girl last year and she had to leave school because he told everyone."

"Yeah..." Katie shrugged. "But I'm different. I'm sure there was more to her leaving than that."

I looked at her open mouthed because she sounded so naive. I knew she wasn't. "He won't see it that way?"

"Please, Charlie. You're my best friend. You have to come with me."

Katie could get me to do anything. We organised the sleep over. Her Dad drove us into town. He gave Katie some money for a taxi home.

Trent and one of his mates picked us up near Woolworths. His car was one of those small two door things which was done up with mags, a spoiler and stuff. My first thoughts were Jake would have said it was a girl's car. A little sewing machine with four wheels and went ring-a-ding-ding. I have to admit I would've agreed with him.

The party was at Trent's house. His parents had gone away for the weekend. Most of the kids there were seniors. They were all sitting on the large entertainment area at the back of the house when we arrived. Trent held Katie's hand when we got out of the car. As we came into view one of the boys yelled, "The gaol bait has arrived."

I wanted to turn around and go straight home. Katie didn't seem to mind. Trent gave the finger.

"Hey they're sixteen this year, almost legal."

The truth was Katie had already turned sixteen. I was a couple of months younger and these remarks made me uncomfortable.

We sat down on some of the chairs. Trent said he'd get us a drink.

"Isn't he great," Katie gushed as he walked away. I screwed up my face. Trent was near the bar with a couple of other guys. I was sure they were talking about us.

"Katie, I don't like it. I want to go home."

She turned on me. "Charlie. Chill. You're always such a prude."

I didn't have a chance to say anything else because Trent and the two he had been talking to came back with the drinks. I took a sip and almost choked because it had so much alcohol in it. They laughed. Even Katie. One of the guys sat down next to me and rubbed me on the back.

"Bit strong hey?" He was beaming. "I told Trent you were too young. I guess you've never drank before."

Trent pulled Katie onto his lap and put his hand on her bum. "Never too young to learn," he said as he clinked his glass against hers then kissed her on the cheek. She lapped it up. I couldn't believe she was falling for it.