60

Katie turned up on my doorstep early on Wednesday morning. She and Chris had a fight on the camping trip weekend. I felt really bad that I hadn't noticed there was anything wrong with her. They had gotten home late Sunday afternoon. She didn't ring because we always had family night on Sundays. Because I was spending so much time with Keean and had slept over Kerry's place Monday night she hadn't been able to get me on her own.

I hadn't closed the door behind her because she broke down the instant she saw me. I led her to sit on the couch.

Katie sobbed against me. "I tried to talk to you yesterday at lunch but Keean chased me away. You were having a moment of your own and then you cut. Did you have a fight too?"

I sat closer and wrapped my arm around her. "Don't worry about me and Keean. Tell me what happened. Why you're so upset."

"Chris..." She bawled. "Chris wanted to have sex on Saturday night. For some reason I decided to say no. To take my own advice like I told you to do with Keean."

I handed her a tissue. She blew her nose and said, "We were kissing. It was getting pretty heavy. I said no and pushed him away." She gasped for breath, her bottom lip quivered. "Charlie. He got so shitty with me and didn't talk to me all day Sunday. He made me wait there with his brother's mates and their girlfriends until he was ready to go. I hate him." She sobbed again. "They all knew. It was so embarrassing."

I didn't know what to say so I just hugged her. I felt useless. I knew if it was the other way round she would have some advice for me. Suddenly I could hear her words in my head.

"Fuck him, Katie. You did the right thing. If that's how he's going to be about it he's not worth it," I said with conviction.

She leaned against me once more and sobbed into my shoulder. "But I really like him, Charlie, and I thought he really liked me."

I rocked her backwards and forwards. "Shush..." I whispered. "I bet he regrets it, Katie. What will you do if he says sorry?"

She half laughed, sat up and blew her nose again. "Take him back of course. But the bastard will have to wait a year before I have sex with him." I rolled my eyes knowing she wouldn't wait a year. This made her laugh. I was so glad to see her smile. Katie was always strong and I didn't see her like this very often.

Keean appeared at the door. He tilted his head and said, "Have I come at a bad time?"

I grimaced but before I could say anything Katie said, "No it's okay. I just needed to talk to Charlie."

He came in and sat on the ottoman. "Sorry, I've been hogging her."

Katie gave him a grin. "Yeah you have, but that's okay."

"Is this about Chris?"

She looked at him curiously. I did too. "Yeah...how did you know? Did he say something?"

"In Maths on Monday. He knows he was a prick."

"What did he tell you?" Katie asked.

Keean screwed up his mouth and half shrugged his shoulders. "It's really not my business to pass on what he said, Katie. He knows he was a jerk. I thought he would have sorted it with you by now."

She sighed and wiped her face. "Well he hasn't." Katie gave him a crooked grin. "Would you say something to him?"

I could tell Keean wasn't keen on this idea. He said, "I can tell him you're pretty upset. We sit together in Maths. Then it's up to him to fix it."

Katie ran her hand under her nose to wipe it dry and nodded. "Do you mind if I get a lift this morning?"

Keean shook his head and stood up. "No but we better get going."

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Poor Katie.  What would you do if a boy did this to you? 

I'd love you to hit the star. ;)