59

As we stopped at a set of traffic lights he looked at me and grinned. "So how does it feel, Charlie Johnson to be breaking the rules? To be on the run with a fugitive?"

I sucked in a deep breath of air and laughed. "Are you going to be a bad influence on me?"

Keean reached out and touched my cheek. "I hope so."

We laughed and as we drove off I said, "Let's go to the movies."

He screwed up his face and shook his head. "I don't have any money."

"I do."

Keean shook his head again. "I can't let you pay."

I scowled at him. "I want to pay and besides when you're a rich doctor you'll be paying for everything. Come on, Keean I want to go to the movies. It's my choice since I'm going to get my hide tanned by my father because of you."

"You won't will you." He laughed then looked at me with concern. "He won't hit you will he."

"No I'm joking. Are we going to the movies or what?"

"I'd rather do 'or what' but seen it's out of the question I guess we'll go to the movies."

When we got to the shopping centre Keean went to the public phone and rang Louise his Youth Worker on 1800 reverse. They talked for what seemed a long time. He eventually came back to me with a smile on his face. "She wasn't very happy but she said she'd cover for me."

"Are you sure? Maybe we should go back to school."

"No, it's okay. I promise." He took me by the hand. We went to see what was playing.

Dracula was the only movie on so we went in. Keean wrapped his arms over my shoulder and bit me lightly on the neck as we entered the theatre. "I vont to suck your blood..." he growled.

I squealed. Someone hissed at us to be quiet. We both laughed and found secluded seats at the back of the theatre. I had bought some popcorn and coke to share. We lifted the arm of the seat between us. I nestled against him. The movie was good, intense. It seemed to match our mood.

The credits rolled Keean leant down and kissed me. We heard an elderly couple make a comment about the lack of discretion in young couples today and something along the lines of 'bet her parents don't know what she's doing in the back of the theatre with that young man.' Our lips were touching. We burst into laughter.

The movie finished a little later than school would have. Keean dropped me at home. "I'll see you tomorrow, Charlie Johnson," he said.

"You bet." I kissed him and waved goodbye as he drove down the street. An ache caught in my chest. I realised love meant pain as well as happiness.

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Thank you all for reading. I'd love you to vote and comment.

I hope Keean doesn't get into trouble :(