28

Katie and I went to the movies on the weekend to see 'Paper Moon'. I loved it and even cried. Two people who needed someone, found each other. A love story of a different kind. I thought of Keean. My love story was a one sided tale.

Katie was talking about Chris Hyatt. I was so lost in my misery I wasn't really listening.

"What do you think, Charlie?"

"Sorry...what?" I shook my head knowing I'd missed most of what she'd said.

Katie sighed. "I don't know what's going on with you but you're doing the freaky blank stare again."

"Sorry, Katie. It was the movie. I thought it was real sad yet beautiful." I wiped the left over tears from the movie out of my eyes.

She shook her head in disbelief. "It's just a movie, Charlie. Anyway I don't think it's the movie. You've been doing this shit for weeks."

I gave her a small grin. "Sorry."

"Have you told your Mum about not feeling well?"

"She's got too much on her plate. I'm fine. It's just school stuff." I knew she wasn't buying it. "Katie I'm worried I'm not going to pass Chemistry. If I don't pass Chemistry I won't get into any of the courses I want to do."

"You worry too much." She waved her hands in dismissal. "It's only first term, you'll catch up. Anyway why don't you ask Crone to help you? He's supposed to be a brain and you're still sitting next to him aren't you?"

Yeah like that was going to work, I thought. I laughed to cover my misery. "Katie he doesn't even talk to me. He hates my guts."

"Why?" She huffed. "He's weird...stuck up. He probably thinks you're below him." I nodded in agreement and sighed.

"The truth is I told Victoria I thought he was a stuck up moody prick. She told him I said it and he hasn't spoken to me since. Not that he ever did." Katie burst into laughter.

"Oh shit, Charlie. I don't believe you sometimes, but good on you because that is what he is."

I laughed too because it was kind of funny. We went to the food court and got some lunch. When she sat down with her tray she said.

"So what do you think anyway?"

I was completely lost and had no idea what she meant. "About what?"

"You didn't hear a word I was saying did you."

"Sorry," I grimaced. Katie shook her head at me.

"Chris Hyatt. Are you going to listen now?"

I grinned. "I'm all ears."

"I really like him, Charlie...more than I've liked anyone." She took a bite of her burger and shook her head. Once she'd swallowed she added. "I can't stop thinking about him."

I wanted to tell her I knew how she felt. I smiled instead and said, "Why don't you just do it with him like you've done with other guys. You know your thing about making the choice or whatever your rule is."

Katie shook her head. "It's different. I really, really like him."

I touched her hand. When she looked at me I could see water in her eyes.

She said, "I've never felt like this about someone before. I don't know what to do about it."

I thought here it is. The moment I knew would happen to her eventually. I smiled at her. "Just be yourself, Katie. I'm sure he'll fall in love with you just the way you are." I felt a bit corny saying that. It reminded me of the Bridget Jones movie but it was the only advice I was capable of giving. After all, I wasn't a woman of the world. She frowned at me so I added, "Or you could take Kerry's advice and show him your tits."

Katie burst into laughter. The piece of burger she had in her mouth flew out and landed across the aisle just missing an old man's leg. We followed its flight and both laughed like a pair of hyenas.

I lay in bed that night and thought I really had to get my shit together. I resolved to start the week on a high. To change the way I felt about Keean Crone.

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Thank you all for reading. I'd love you to vote, comment and even follow if you'd like.

I really appreciate all your support ♥♥♥