45

We were sitting in our usual spot at morning tea with the group when Chris and Keean came around the corner. They were laughing about something together which I took as a good sign. Chris said to the group. "Anyone mind if Crone sits with us?"

Nick Harrison, who had sat next to me grunted and muttered, "Do we have a choice?"

Keean sat opposite me with his knees up and his arms resting on top of them. He looked at me then at Nick. I could see he wasn't happy about Nick sitting next to me.

Katie tried to lift the tension which had suddenly surrounded the group by saying, "So, Crone. You're one of those clever pricks like Hyatt?" Keean frowned so she added. "You do all those hard subjects. Do you do Maths B or Maths C?"

He looked at me then glanced at Nick. Hung his head a little and focused on his hands. "Both. If you to do C you have to do B."

She put on an interested face then said, "Right...you know most of us here are dumb fucks."

Keean looked up at her, a grin on his face. He looked around the group and focused on Nick. "I can only see one dumb fuck."

That was it for me. I quickly jumped up. "Be back in a minute." Unknowingly I had created a diversion from what he had said because everyone looked up at me.

"Where are you going?" Katie asked.

I pointed. "The loo." I had to think of a way to get Nick off my back. I didn't want Keean to get into a fight over it because he'd most likely get the flick from school. As I moved off I heard Katie ask.

"Why do you do all those hard subjects? Do you want to be a vet like Chris?"

Keean's masculine voice sounded behind me. I sensed he was getting up. "Doctor. I'll see you in maths, Chris."

I was leaning against the wall as he came around the corner. He put his hands on my waist and looked down at me. "Hey."

"Hey," I said and moved slightly away. Keean frowned and took a step back. "What's up? You don't want me near you?" I folded my arms across my chest and looked at the ground.

"What was that comment for?" He gave me a look like he didn't understand. "The dumb fuck comment while you were looking straight at Nick."

Keean folded his arms and leaned against the wall beside me. "I'll punch the dumb fuck in the head if he doesn't leave you alone."

I pushed off the wall and stood in front of him. "Please don't do this. Don't be the jealous type. You have to trust that I don't like him or any of the stuff he says."

Keean looked at me through his hair. I had to take in a breath of air because he was so gorgeous. "All the more reason for me to hit him," he said.

"Is it worth getting expelled for?" I asked as I cocked my head to one side.

He grinned, grabbed me on the waist with both hands and pulled me towards him. I put my hands on his chest to keep some space between us and looked around anxiously. "Keean."

"I'll be good. I promise," he whispered into my hair.

Suddenly Chris's voice called. "Hey! You two! Get a room!" I quickly turned around.

"It's only us," Katie said and gave us a little wave.

I sighed with relief and looked toward Keean. He had his head leaning back on the wall looking up at the sky. When he looked down at me I could see he was frowning. I thought he's thinking I didn't want to be seen with him. Which was partly true. Not because I didn't like him. I wanted people to get used to the idea slowly. On impulse and so he knew I wasn't ashamed to be with him, I stepped towards him, stood on tiptoe and kissed him on the mouth. He wasn't prepared for it. I had stepped away before he could react. The bell rang. I smiled, took another step backwards then followed Katie and Chris.

He stayed where he was, followed me with his eyes and gave me a gentle grin. I didn't see him again until English, which was the last lesson before lunch. Because of the seating and the fact we were back in our groups working on the 'American Pie' project we could only look at each other. I did my best to avoid Nick while Katie intercepted him a lot. There were a few occasions when he managed to break through her protective barrier. Keean looked away when this happened and gave me an 'I'm being a good boy' grin. He waited by the door for me. Of course Nick was right there beside me.

"Charlie can I talk to you?" Keean said as he took my hand and moved off.

Nick instantly went on the defensive. "Crone, why don't you leave her alone, you already hurt her on Friday."

Keean closed his eyes, rubbed his hand down his face and sighed. "Why don't you fuck off, Harrison?" Nick stepped forward so Keean let go of my hand.

"Let me ask you something, Nick." Keean's voice sounded controlled. "Are you making a play for Charlie?"

Nick shrugged, looked at me then back at Keean. "I'm working on it."

I focused on the ground because I had never had one boy interested in me before let alone two.

"And how do you think it's going so far?" Keean asked.

"I don't know, alright I guess," Nick said as he shrugged again.

"Look, Nick." Keean sighed. "I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble but you're wasting your time."

"How the fuck would you know, Crone? What's this got to do with you?"

I looked up to see Keean take a breath, put one of his hands behind his head and rub it up and down. Before he could say anything I stepped forward. "Nick. Keean and I are seeing each other." I paused because the look on his face showed this news was a big shock to him. "We had a fight on Friday because, well...because of the attention you gave me. We don't want it to be public yet. Please understand."

"You've got to be kidding me?" Nick took a step backwards. He held his hand up and wiped his face. "Yeah right. Got it. Sorry, Crone. My bad." Then he walked off.

Keean let out a huge breath of air. "I feel sorry for the guy." He looked down at me to see I didn't feel too good about what had happened either.

Then he grinned at me, cocked his head to one side and shrugged. "Still hate the prick though." He took me by the hand and led me to the back of the building. Keean put down his bag and took my face in both of his hands. "I'm sorry. I know you didn't want people to know just yet but if I didn't stop him, it'd get worse."

I figured what he said was true. "It's okay. It's probably better it's out in the open." Then as an afterthought I added, "He might not tell anyone."

Keean shook his head and laughed. "Should we make a bet?"

I was about to say no when Keean touched his lips to mine and kissed me. His breathing changed immediately. He moved his mouth to my neck. "I have to go to detention," he whispered as he kissed my skin. I shuddered. Keean pulled his mouth away and looked at me curiously. "What was that for?"

"You're giving me goose bumps," I whispered.

"That's good to know," he said raising his eyebrows then stroked my face as he stepped away from me. Keean lifted his bag onto his shoulder and grinned. "I liked you making the first move to kiss me earlier. It turned me on." He laughed as I blushed. Then he bent and kissed my cheek. "See ya in Chemistry."

Copyright © 2017 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

I hope Keean isn't the jealous type :( 

Clicking the star lets me know you're enjoying the story ♥♥