Chapter 1

"Jade, come in here!" My dad shouts from the living room, and I can tell he's excited about something, so I run to the living room.

"What is it?" I ask, running over to him and trying to find what has made him so happy. "Jade, look," he says, holding up a letter. "You've been accepted," he says with a huge smile and my eyes widen. "Really?!" I ask and he nods, hugging me. "You've done it!" He exclaims and adds, "Just wait until your mum hears about this."

I smile and take the letter from him. It reads:

  Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)   

Dear Ms. Black,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

 Yours sincerely,

 Minerva McGonagall Deputy Headmistress

As the letter said, there was a list of all the things I would need inside the envelope. "I need to send Kate a letter asking if she got one too," I said and dashed upstairs.

I wrote the letter explaining what had happened and asking if she'd gotten one too. "Ok Minnie," I say to my owl, tying it to her leg gently. "Take this to Kate Weekes." She stares at me and flies away soundlessly.

I can hear mum and dad downstairs and I know by mum's excited shriek that he had told her. They came and stood in my doorway in no time and they were both grinning ear to ear. "Happy eleventh birthday, Jade," Mum says and smiles, holding up a box. "What's that?" I asked and Dad grinned.

"Well, that's your robes. One less thing to buy when we're out," he explains and I nod. "Wait, I thought we waited until we were at school to get our robes?" I say, tilting my head in confusion. 

Dad came over and sat next to me on my bed. "Jade, you need robes before you get there. They're just standard black robes though. You get robes with your House on them once you're sorted."

I nod, finally understanding. "That's cool," I reply and sigh. "Which house do you think I'll be in?" I ask and he shrugs. "I was in Gryffindor," he states, "Along with uncle Remus and uncle James. But your mum was in Hufflepuff."

"It doesn't matter to us as long as you're happy with where you're at," he says and hugs me again. "Thanks," I say to both of them and smile widely. "I wonder what house Kate will be in," I wonder idly and they shrug. "Again, whatever makes the both of you happy is fine with us."

***

The next morning, Minnie had returned with a letter. I untied it immediately and shut my window. I gave her a treat and sat on my bed to read it.

Kate had been accepted too! Her mum and dad want to go with us whenever we go to get our supplies. I go show mum and she shrugs. "Alright, that's fine with us. Is this weekend okay with them?" She asks and I shrug.

"I'll ask," I say and go back upstairs to write a response. Minnie gives me a glare and I give her an extra treat before she goes. "Sorry," I say as I watch her fly away.

I flop back on my bed and sigh. Hogwarts. I've been dreaming of going to Hogwarts since I knew how to talk. Being the daughter of Sirius and Jena Black is tough. One half of me will be trouble, and the other half will be a shy introvert. I wonder how much crap the pure-bloods are gonna give me for mum being muggleborn.