Chapter 2

Morning came too quick as the sun welcomed it's light on me. My sleep was restless. Night terrors had haunted me.

Dr. Kevin smiled as he walked into the room, a clip board in his hands. "Hello, Ms. Franklin. How are we doing this morning?"

I shrug as I sit up, my body responding. I lean against the back of the bed. "Im alright. I just want to go home."

He nods understanding. "Of course. "

I raise my eyebrow waiting for the but.

"But we need you here for one more test. It will be quick."

I sigh, accepting that. "What kind of test is it?"

He pulls out a needle. "A blood test. Are you ok with that?"

I gulped in fear as he came closer with it, like it was a weapon of harm. "Uh..yea, sure." And within seconds, the needle plunged into me.

*******

People were busy bustling in the streets when I got out of the hospital. Mom had thankfully brought me clothes ; jeans, a tee shirt with a rose and combat boots. I waited for her on the curb to pick me up. I wrap my arms around myself as I see a couple walking into a the hospital together. They held hands but the women looked too fragile and weak. She wanted to take her last steps before she would die.

I cringe away the thought and change my focus to staring at the road, waiting for my mom to come.

A breeze slowly crept to me and made me shiver. I look around for a red car, lisence plate: 4050FORU

I sighed and sat down on the sidewalk, overlooking at the parking lot.

Suddenly, a warm body sits next to me. "You alone?"

My head turns to him, his eyes a silvery gold in the light of the sun. His brown hair glistened like honey.

His face lit up and smiled. "I'm Lucas Radley. I just moved here in, Trista." He said with sopsication. "I can see this town is small and very homey. I'm guessing you have lived here for quiet a long time."

I chuckled at his complement. "Yes, I have. Since I was born actually. " I held out my hand. "Ellie Franklin. " He shook it with strength and curiosity and then pulled his hand away.

He smiled warmly. "What are you doing near a hospital?"

I sighed and pulled by knees to my chest. "Just a doctors appointment. " The lie once more, rolled off my tongue like a water slide.

"Oh, I was just getting my health papers for school tomorrow. "

"Very nice. " He held a cream envelope out to me. "So, i'll see you tomorrow then?"

He nodded just as my mom had finally pulled up. "Bye." He called before I took a seat in the back.

After mom drove out of the parking lot, she drove me home. After what happened on Saturday, she wouldn't leave me alone. As I walked inside of the house and went to the fridge, she finally spoke up. "I want you straight home. I don't want you hanging out with Ethan, Sam and Zeke. Their dangerous and almost got you killed!" She said, her voice firm but calm.

My eyes widen. "What? How can I NOT see them? They are my friends!" I countered.

She set the car keys down and gave me a stern look. "Need a remind you that on Saturday night I was suppose to pick you up from Sam's house and not the hospital!"

I scoff, trying to keep myself centered. "You can't tell me what to do!" I started to race up the stairs, but it was clear, the oxygen that disappeared in the fire, wasn't here now. I struggled up the steps as I heard mom yelling from behind.