Chapter 31

The voice was stalking me. In ever way possible, I was always taunted by the voice. With the voice, came my coal black eyes.

Lucas couldn't know about what I had been dealing with. He would already be doing to much as a protecter. Just knowing that I could save his life then mine, I run with it.

I paced back and forth until mom came home with Sam. Both of they were carrying multiple plastic bags.

"We're back." Sam announced happily in a sing songy voice. She walked into the kitchen, placing all the groceries on the table in front of me. To act normal, I began to unpack all of the items in the bag and put them back where they belong in the fridge or cabinet. Mom came in, setting the rest of the bags, covering the other half of the table.

"Wow, you guys really went shopping." I was impressed by how much popcorn and sweets they got. It was like a steal.

Sam grinned, putting milk back into the fridge. "Oh yes. They say that it will be a rainy weekend. "

"Also, school starts this Wednesday. On Sunday, schedules will come out." She pipped in, kissing Dr. Kevin. He gave a sweet smile to me as if rubbing in his gross romance.

"Great." I pulled out a bag of gummy worms and a six pack of ginger ale. "Awesome. All this sweets and food!"

Mom nodded. "For the storm." She said spookily.

I frowned as I lost my patientence. "Im going over to Lucas. Don't wait up." I went out of the house, without locking the door before heading over to his home.

All over the place were deep puddles, wet grass and downed trees. I had to be careful as I navigated my way through the obstacles. And with one move, I knocked on the door.

Gavin answered, his eyes carrying down lines underneath them. "Hey, Ellie!" He greeted me as I stepped inside. "Its been a long time since I've seen you." He smiled as he went to the stairs, calling Lucas down.

"Yea, Gavin. What did you think of the storm?"

HIs face fell quickly. "A conspiracy."

Just as I was about to comment, Lucas wrapped an arm around me. "Ok, thanks Dad. I'm going to catch up with Ellie. " Gavin grunted but just walked away to the kitchen, leaving us alone.

Lucas brought me upstairs as we sat on the bed together. "So, how have you been?" His light blue eyes seemed to smile at me as I looked at him.

"Pretty good. I read more of Layla's diary and you'll never believe this!" I clapped my hands together. "She mentioned the darkness and demons!"

Lucas' eyes widened. "That's awesome! Which meant she knew something about it."

I nodded. "Dr. Kevin told her. "

"Quite understandable. But, The Darkness hasn't been around in over a hundred years. "

The Darkness was here now, I thought to myself. It had already risen. Lucas tilted his head as if he realized I was thinking. I was so deep in thought, I jumped when Lucas touched my shoulder.

"Ellie?" He poked my shoulder again. "Earth to Ellie?"

"What?!"I snapped I came back to reality, as everything came rushing back. I was sitting on Lucas' bed at Lucas' house. "Sorry."

He let me lean on him, his hand stroking my back. "It's ok, Ellie. You have so much on your plate. With all this happening, you have every right to be angry." He told me, quietly.

"I don't get why I have to die and why everyone wants me. " My voice cracked, defeated.

"I keep saying this, but I'll protect you. I'm your protector. " he reassured me.