Chapter 8

Lucas convinced me into more than one ride. We started off at the log ride, then the carousal, and the yo-yo and lastly, the arcade which really wasn't a ride. In his world, it was.

He managed to win 500 tickets within the games in the building and he bought me bear with it. It was a nice sized bear that was sky blue.

"Thanks." I said warmly. "You didn't have too."

He shrugged as we walked out. "I know, but it was better that I did."

My phone vibrates and it was mom. "Hold on, Lucas."

I put the phone to my ear. "Hello, mom."

"Hello, Ellie. I thought I would check in. How is everything with Sam and Lucas?"

I looked at Lucas, who waited patiently as I took the call. "Good. We are at the carvinal and Sam wants to buy food now. So, I have to go. I love you mom."

"Wait! Ellie!"

"Yeah?

"I like Lucas.... I'm glad that your friends with him. Ill see you guys tomorrow at noon. Bye, hon. Be safe!" And with that, she hung up.

I glanced to Lucas. "My mother is like in love with you!" I drone as we walked towards the concession stands.

"I know. Aren't I lovable?" He joked. His phone suddenly rings. "Im sorry, I have to get this."

I stay silent, watching him as he took his call.

"Hello? Yes, this is Lucas. I know, I know. Yes, yes. I understand. I'm home tomorrow. Ill meet you then."His voice sounded angry as he spoke , but then he hung up and placed the phone back in his pocket.

"Who was that?" I asked curiously.

"My dad. He gets on my case about everything." He groans. "Oh, Ethan and Sam will meet us there. I hear theres fireworks tonight on the beach. Would you like to be my date?"

Heat blooms in my cheeks. "Yes, I would like that."

We walk together until we found the concessions and sat across from Ethan and Sam. They both had dug into fried cakes and had milkshakes by them. "Some sweet tooth, Sam." I raised my eyebrow and she giggled, her hands covered with powered sugar.

"Ellie, what do you want?" Lucas asks, getting up and pulling out money.

"Lucas, you don't have to pay-." I get cut off by Ethan who nodded at me.

"Go on, Lucas." Ethan demanded as he shoveled friend cake in his mouth.

I smiled warmly. "I guess Ill have a cheeseburger with pickles, onions, ketchup and mustard then. And with some sprite." I ordered sweetly.

He looked at me the whole time and then left, getting in line at the Meat- O- cart. They were famous for anything meat or chicken. And yet, they made a fortune for being a food cart here on Hamilton beach.

Sam raised her eyebrows. "You like him. Don't you?" She asked before chewing more fried dough.

A blush crept to my cheeks as Ethan sat up straighter, giving me the eyes. His face was filled with curiosity.

"Hes just a really good friend." I admitted before seeing Lucas come back with a beef sandwich and hamburger and 2 drinks. He sets the food down at my place. "One cheeseburger with onion, pickles, ketchup and mustard with a sprite." He said orderly.

I grinned hungrily as my stomach growled. My hands found the soft bread of the burger as I raised it up and into my mouth, biting into an explosion of oniony, acidic perfection. Lucas had started eating his beef sandwich and grinned at me with his mouth full and then swallowed.