Chapter 16

Lucas takes practice easy with me today. After bumping into him and having an anxious start, we ran for two miles, which I ran all the way and we practiced some kicks. But I was still afraid to go home.

We took a break shortly after working out for three hours. He handed me a water bottle and I told him everything that happened in the dream, and with Ryder.

"What's so important about this bracelet anyway?" I held it up as it glimmered in the sunlight on this perfect day.

"Its to protect you from Demons."

"But, there's something else. Ryder told me not to take it off. If I take it off, will I die?" I ask curiously.

He shook his head and then felt the golden bracelet between his fingers. "Ryder is right. You see, there's something in this design that makes you protected from demons. Say, if you ever took it off, there's a chance, you could become one."

"Really?"

He let go of my wrist, sipping his water. "Yes. When you fight with demons, you have to keep it on. "

I understood and looked at him, my mind racing at what Ryder had said. "Then, why don't you have one on your wrist?"

"I was born in the Inferno, same as Ryder. We are used to the good demons, we don't need them." He reassured me, smiling.

I glanced to the direction of my house before looking back at Lucas. "I'm scared, Lucas....I think Dr.Kevin is out to kill me. End me permanently. " I lift my chin to look at him. "He knows I'm the chosen one. " My voice cracks.

He wraps his arms around me in an comforting embrace. "I wont let him. I made a promise to the Inferno and to you." He whispered.

I look at him. "You didn't make a promise to me."

He smiles. "Then I will now. I promise that you, Ellie Franklin will be safe under my grounds and live.No if, ads or buts."

I smile slightly, as we plunged into silence. We just held each other like that.

After some time passed, we let go. it wasn't until my phone rang, It was my mom. I groaned loudly, angered by my family.

"Hello?"

"WHERE ARE YOU? I FOUND KEVIN ON THE FLOOR PRACTICALLY KNOCKED OUT!" She yells angrily. I had to pull the phone away from my ear to not to become deaf.

"Well, im sorry mom. Your crazy boyfriend tried to take blood from me this morning."

"Come home. We have lots to talk about and don't you dare bring Lucas." And the line went dead.

Lucas stands up, taking my hand. "Ill take your home." He starts to move, but I stay still and rigid as a statute. My whole body shakes and shudders as I held in my tears to not cry. I wouldn't cry in front of him, I thought.

Lucas turned around and urged me ahead and my feet strangely followed. I didn't want to go back home. Not if that monster was in my house.

As we reached my house from the park, we stood at the driveway gazing at each other. "Do you need me to-." He cut off as I hugged him.

"Ill call you.... and if I need you over, you can crawl in through my ladder." I whispered in my ear as my mother opened the door, staring daggers in me. "There is a made shift ladder that is easy to climb up." He kisses my cheek as I lean back. "And ill leave my window open. " He nods before hugging me again before letting me go.

The ladder had been here ever since we built this house. When I was little, I used to sneak out and go to Sam's house. Yes, mom would find out but it wasn't the end of the world. It was more an experience that I had and that I was safe.