Chapter 39

The week began in a blur. Once again, I was called on in class in health, but something was different about Dr. Kevin.

He was happy. Which was strange. Plus, on Wednesday , he never called on me. Not once. Lucas found it strange and so did I. When we walked out of class, he gave me a happy birthday card. Written in his own handwriting:

'Happy 18th birthday, Ellie

From Kevin (Your almost father) '

Lucas' eyes glowed bright after I read it as we walked to our next class. I was as furious as he was, but also confused.

I drove myself home after an exhausting day. I glanced at Lucas' house seeing no movement. Getting out of the car, I went straight to my room. Lucas had a surprise for me tonight and I wanted to dress nice for him.

I went through at least 5 dresses to finally choose the right one. The one I picked was my favorite one: My red one I had wore to the end of the summer party. Which was amazing and Sam agreed.

Around five, I left the house and ventured to Lucas' nervous travelling around my body at maximum speed. I knocked on the door, my stomach growling loudly.

"Hey, birthday girl!" Lucas greeted me as I stepped into the house, looking at the decorated living room and foyer. Streamers of blue and purple hung freely around along with balloons that cascaded the ceiling.

"Hey," My eyes went back to him. "This is beautiful!" I hugged him tightly. "You did all of this?"

He nodded as Gavin entered, a wide smile on his face. "I did too!" He said curious as he hugged me as well.

The smell of fried chicken hit my nose in a wonderful whiff. "That smells great! What is it?"

Lucas grinned, leading me to the dining room, a Pumpkin cake sitting front of my seat. "Chicken and here's your cake!"

"Who thought of the pumpkin idea?"

"Lucas did." Gavin chimed in as brought three sodas for us all, setting them around the table.

I pecked his cheek. "Thank you." He blushed brightly, as he sat down next to me as Gavin brought in plates of food. Chicken, mashed potatoes and a variety of mixed veggies - all my favorite.

"Thank you, Gavin. " I smile before digging in to the wonderful, heavenly foodly. I heard Luacs chuckling before eating his.

The table was silent besides the touch of the fork to the plate, creating a metallic ring every time it touched. I couldn't believe they actually thought everything out. After I finished the lovely dinner, it was time for presents. Put in front of me were three different presents, all different sizes.

Gavin and Lucas both grinned at each other then to me.

"Which one first?"

Gavin pushed the bigger one to me as it stretched like a long pencil. I tilted my head and opened it, seeing it was a katana.

"A katana?" I asked, memorized by the craft work and etrique designs that were on the cover.

He nodded. "It was my wife's and I thought you should have it. " Lucas bowed his head. "She told me that a right sword is a happy sword."

"I- I can't accept this. This is yours." I tried to give it back to him but he refused. Even Lucas wouldn't take it.

"No, it isn't. Ellie, you have a destination in life and this will guide you."

I furrowed my eyebrows and held it close to me.

"Ok...if you say so." He smiled, nodding at my disbelieving face.