Chapter 40

Attacked rang through my mind like a bell. Why would someone want to attack a powerful demon? I couldn't put my finger on it as I left Lucas' house around eight.

The air felt colder to me as I walked back to my house with my gifts (hiding the katana, of course).

"Came back, did you?" The voice hissed, causing me to wince as I opened the door.

Sam was watching tv when she saw me, a grin plastered on her face.

"How was your birthday with Lucas?"

I grinned and sat on the couch, showing her only the necklace. "He gave me this E necklace for me. Telling me I shouldn't forget who I am." I told her in the exact words Lucas told me.

She smiled, her hand touching the charm. "Well, its beautiful but I think you should get to bed." She told me automatically. "We have school tomorrow and its your birthday!"

I rolled my eyes, and made my way upstairs taking my stuff along with me. "Goodnight, Sam."

"Night!" She called back as I got clean PJ's and set my other gifts on the bed. I quickly hid them so that Dr. Kevin wouldn't dare find them.

I stripped and went to the bathroom, starting a warm shower to calm my nervous. I was sure that tomorrow I would die. Everything pointed to that. I cleaned myself, watching as the water turned scarlet red.

I gasped, putting a hand to my mouth stepping away from it. I had to be dreaming, I thought watched as if poured out of the shower head full force.

"Why?" I whispered, as blood still came from the shower head mysteriously.

"Because your the Chosen One," The voice added in my head. "Your life is miserable."

"Get out of my head! I'm pleading you!" I hugged myself so that my chest was not visible to this thing.

"Its more fun when you play along. See you soon, darling..."

The blood disappeared, changing into regular water as I stood back, pressed against the wall. My heart thumped in my chest. I raced out of the shower and wrapped myself in a towel, looking around wildly. No one was in the bathroom with me; it was clear no one was.

I hurried to put my pjs on before leaving the bathroom, my hair damp to the touch. I closed my door, resting my body in bed. My heart beat quickly and uncertain as I started to close my eyes. But, it was hard.

My eyes glacned at the clock, watching it tick from;

9am

11am

4am

5:30am

I stared at the ceiling all night , waiting for morning to come and for school. I didn't want for the alarm to ring ethier. I dragged myself out of bed and got myself breakfast.

Waiting on the kitchen table was my cake. A spooky graveyard with cookies as graves and marshmallows as ghosts. My heart stopped just as Dr. Kevin, Mom and Sam popped into the kitchen.

"Happy birthday!" They said in unison. My heart skipped a beat at everyone's happy faces.

I gave a fake smile, as Sam hugged me tightly. "Today, your officially 17! You ready for school?" She elbowed me playfully as Mom handed me steaming hot pancakes, freshly made.

"Yea, I am." I wasn't really hungry, but I shoved one pancake to my mom happy but left it with that. I wasn't too excited for today.

Mom smiled and held onto Dr. Kevin like he was stuck to her. I cringed and made my way upstairs, happy but not happy. I got dressed, not minding what I wore ethier. A pair of skinny jeans and a white shirt. I wasn't to keen on getting fancy.