Vol.1 Ch.12: The Search for Knowledge

Yuel and Julia finished the one kilometer race without any trouble. Surprisingly, Gregory passed it with flying colors as well. Yuel and Gregory were among the least athletic kids in the world before summer break, yet they both finished this race within the top 10.

"You sure can run." Yuel squinted his eyes.

"So can you, kek." Gregory smirked.

"Looks like your prediction for the first round was off. I'm still in the game."

"Yeah, so it seems. Where did you learn of this exam anyway?"

"Nowhere. Lars dragged me to jog with him during the summer and that's the result. But you trained because you knew about the structure of this exam, didn't you?"

"Who knows." Gregory shrugged and averted his eyes. Yuel wanted to pursue this topic further, but Julia's high-pitched voice interrupted him.

"Eeeeh!? You lost!?" Julia nearly fainted from shock.

"Haha, yeah." Lars scratched his head. "I was so close too! Tai did some super special training in the summer, I'm tellin' ya."

Lars lost? To Taison? That's all the proof Yuel needed. Taison and Gregory definitely knew about the structure of this exam. Taison trained to steal first place, whereas Gregory trained to not get eliminated.

"It's thanks to Taison's brother, isn't it?" Yuel deduced. "I heard he's playing competitively in high school. Assuming he also attended this school before and tried to join the Classmancers club, he surely remembers the unusual structure of this exam."

"Yes, yes. You're so smart. Much genius, such amazed. Jeez." Gregory got fed up with the interrogation, falling right into Yuel's trap.

"So, you know what's coming next, don't you?"

"I don't remember."

"Didn't you predict Lars will fail the 2nd round? I'm sure you have some idea."

"You really like nitpicking, don't you?" Gregory sighed. "Okay, I'll tell you. There's nothing you can do about it anyway. It's a quiz."

"About Classmancers?"

"Mhm. You pick a role and they give you a quiz about it. Like the first round, you're out if you score low. Good luck getting that idiot thought this one, kek."

Once everybody gathered in front of Howard again, the results of the first round were announced. A total of 15 players were eliminated. Taison won first place, so he instantly passed the entry exam.

"We'll do the second round tomorrow." Howard announced. "You must be pooped from all this outdoor activity, right? Get some rest for today. You'll be given the details tomorrow, but here's a small hit: you better come prepared for some intense brain work."

From the hint, it was almost certain Gregory didn't lie. The next round was going be a Classmancers quiz or something similar. The questions would probably test game knowledge and decision-making. Terrible news.

"Can you two come over today?" Yuel asked Lars and Julia.

"I planned to, but my freakin' body is falling apart, haha." Lars produced an awkward laugh.

"I'm not coming either." Julia said. "I wanna take a shower and stuff."

"It's important." Yuel explained the situation. "It'll probably be similar to the quizzes we get at school, except about Classmancers. I'm confident about passing, but what about you two?"

"Depends on how hard it is." Julia shrugged.

"L-Like a school quit?" Lars twiched. "H-Heh. Haha. Hahahahaha! No problem, yo!"