Vol.4 Ch.6: A Drunk Pro Appears!

Yuel and Howard discussed the various issues plaguing the entrance exam. Namely, the issues of the first two tests: the one-kilometer run and the quiz.

Every time, Yuel brought up and issue and Howard defended against it. It's like they became a duo of prosecutor and defense attorney.

"Objection," Howard said. "Regarding the race, despite what we say on stage we actually accept everybody who makes it to the finish line. It doesn't matter whether they run, walk or even crawl. As long they reach the goal, it's fine."

"I see," Yuel nodded while jotting down notes. "So, when you said that those who do poorly will fail, it was all part of testing their resolve."

"A nice trick, right? Haha."

Yuel had mixed feeling about it. Yes, it was much better than failing people for poor fitness. But, was it forgiving enough? If Yuel hadn't met Lars and hadn't started jogging, how would he have reacted to these rules? As motivated as he was to play Classmancers, he might have given up midway along the race.

It's impossible to know for sure now, but there's a chance he would have failed and that worried him. Testing resolve was good and all, but it shouldn't come with the risk of filtering out talented players. Yuel shared his concerns.

"That's not a bad line of thinking," Howard said. "Except, we can't discover these 'talented players' before we start the exam, right? If we could, we wouldn't need an exam in the first place."

"That's true..." Yet again, a clash between theory and practice. Yuel knew what had to be improved but didn't have a practical solution. The goal of the exam was to discover the highest caliber players, which meant the exam should ensure the talented players don't fail. But, there's one big problem: the examiners didn't have any magical way to discover said talents ahead of time, so there's no way to ensure the exam will suit them.

"I wonder," Yuel said. "Wasn't there any way for me or Lars to prove ourselves before we got to the first test? Anything that stood out about us?"

"Among the hundred candidates? Not really. Though, I believe you were the only ones in Platinum at the time."

"Ah, that's it!" Yuel jumped. "We can use ranks! Say, we can let anybody who is Gold or higher skip the first test. And, maybe even the second test."

"Not a bad idea," Howard nodded. "We can ask them to confirm their ranks by telling us their IDs, so there won't be any cheating. It'll be a little pain to go over all these accounts and write them down, but I'm sure you can handle it."

"No problem. Okay, so that's it," Yuel jotted down the idea in his notebook and drew a big circle around it. "Players ranked Gold or higher skip the first test and maybe the second test too."

"I'd even consider lowering the requirement a little. You picked Gold because it's one below Platinum, right? So, it catches those who played as much as you and a little less."

"Pretty much. It's also the division Gregory and Taison had at the time."

"Just so you know, that's rare on these exams. You not gonna have more than a handful of kids who reached these ranks, or even reached Ranked at all."

"So, maybe anybody who hit Lv. 50 in their accounts?"

"That's an option. I'll leave the specifics to you. There's still plenty of time to decide till the exam."

"That's true," Yuel wrote down "Consider lowering the requirement from Gold. Maybe being Lv. 50 is enough."

With this, two of Yuel's biggest gripes about the exam were partially resolved. No matter how terribly unfit a candidate was or how bad they were at quizzes, they'll easily make it through if they played Classmancers enough and reached Ranked.