Vol.9 Ch.5: Who Will Be the Jungler?

Carry: Kai (Beat)

Support: Vincent (InformationBlackhole)

Mid: Lars (Gunz)

Top: Yuel (Chessmaster)

Jungler: Nia (VanishingFlower)

"Say what?" Luke raised an eyebrow. "I think you somehow got my name mixed up with Nia's, haha."

"Nope," Kai answered matter-of-factly. "For this scrimmage, Nia will play Jungler first. You'll be a sub."

"Wha..." Luke blinked and gave her a funny look. Heh. Hah. Haha! This was the joke of the year, that's for sure. "You really gonna let this newbie play instead of me? Are you for real right now?" He gave Nia a look... Or, at least, he planned to do so. But, he couldn't find her anywhere. The girl was under the table a moment ago, but she vanished without a trace. Goddammit, this stupid ugly vanishing bit-

Nah, calm down. No need to get mad. Luke took a deep breath. This is just a joke. Kai is just pulling my leg. And, if by any chance she's serious about this shit, everybody else gonna side with me anyways. Everybody can see she's clearly playing favorites for a fellow girl. Captain or not, ain't nobody gonna let that shit pass.

"I'm serious," Kai said. "It was the most difficult decision of the lineup, but that's how it's going to be."

"Hey, everybody, are ya hearing this nonsense?" Luke produced a dry laugh. "She's playing favorites for Nia again."

"No, she's not," Yuel said. "I'd also like Nia to play Jungler. We discussed it thoroughly and agreed on this."

"Hah, you did," Luke twitched. "Okay, then what about everybody else? Any of you think Nia should be the Jungler?"

"Don't worry, dude," Lars patted Luke's shoulder. "You're an awesome Jungler. I'm sure ya still gonna get to play some matches. Just show 'em what ya got during the scrimmage and they gonna pick ya next time for sure!"

"That's right," Yuel followed up. "Scrimmages are great opportunities for us to test team lineups. At the moment, Kai and I agree that Nia should be the Jungler. But, that may change depending on how the scrimmages play out. Nothing is set in stone yet."

"In other words," Vincent made noise. "Our Jedi Knight must overcome a trial to become a Jedi Master!"

"You guys are all so serious here," Luke smiled wryly. What a naive fool he was. All this time, he believed his Jungler spot was secured. After all, his only competition was some greenhorn freshman girl. He had this one in the bag. Ez.

Except, he totally didn't. This year, Stratus gonna be a serious team unlike the world has seen before. It was filled to the brim with tryhard energy and everybody was legit aiming for the top. They were serious when they were talking about taking the regionals.

This ain't what I signed up for. Luke thought. The Stratus he knew was a laid-back team that cared firstmost about having fun. But, that only applied last year. This year, they became tryhards all of a sudden with powerhouses from StormBlitz joining them out of nowhere.

"Welp, alrighty then," Luke shrugged. "Less work for me then. Am I, like, excused from the scrimmage?"

"Definitely not," Yuel answered. "As I said, we'll be using the scrimmages for trying different things out. I'd like to see how you perform in a competitive environment as well. Aside from your meme picks, you are a good player. So, you might surprise and prove that your memes hold up in that environment."