Vol.7 Ch.27: Rampaging Orc

『An enemy has been killed!』

Nia really pulled it off. Yuel couldn't believe the message on his screen. He simply couldn't piece this jigsaw together. How did Nia decide this was a good opportunity to gank? Nothing about that Aeromancer suggested he was going an easy target.

At 60% HP, it was only natural to assume the Aeromancer was on the lookout for ganks. Was this a fluke? Maybe Nia just gave it a shot and the gank happened to work. Besides, even if she failed to secure the kill, the Aeromancer surely wasn't going to stay and fight her after being ganked. So, this gank was a safe move for Nia either way.

Now that I think about it, the arguments in favor of this gank seem to be pretty simple. Yuel smiled wryly. It was simple but, for some reason, he didn't think of this gank. Something about this play bothered him but he couldn't put his finger on it.

Maybe it was actually all Vincent's fault with his "Vanishing Phantom" nonsense. It made Yuel expect something from Nia even thought it was silly. She was neither a phantom nor she had the ability to vanish. She was simply good at making the enemy lower their guard, that's all.

If Nia starts pulling off similar kills left and right, there will be more reason to believe she had a special talent. Until then, this successful gank was nothing more than a safe play that happened to reap great benefits. Yuel had far more concerning things to discuss anyway.

"Good work getting that kill but why didn't you inform anybody about your rotation?" Yuel asked. "At the very least, you were supposed to tell Lars that you were going to gank Mid."

"You're one of those, aren't you," Nia muttered. Every now and then, she met these pesky players who told her to communicate more during the match. She hasn't heard this complaint in a long time because she has been muting everybody but there it was again. Where was the mute button for real life?

"It won't be a real surprise attack if I tell people," Nia said.

"Excuse me?" Yuel raised an eyebrow. "What kind of logic is that? You're trying to surprise the enemy, not your allies."

"If I tell anybody, they'll spill the beans by acting all weird on lane. The surprise attack gonna get telegraphed."

"I know what you mean," Yuel had experiences like that when starting out. When he informed a laner about his plans to gank their lane, the laner thought this was the best time to aggress on their opponent. After all, backup was on the way so this was the best time to initiate an attack, right? Wrong!

In this kind of scenario, the laner's job was to keep the incoming gank under wraps and ensure it'll succeed. And, intimidating the gank's target into retreating was the exact opposite of achieving that. That only made it harder for the ganker to reap any rewards from the gank and it might even stop the entire gank dead in its tracks.

Therefore, when playing with randoms online, sometimes it made sense to not inform a problematic laner about an incoming gank. At low levels, doing so might have brought Nia better results. However, with high-level players, this was a non-issue.

"You need to have more faith in your teammates," Yuel said. "We're all serious players here. We know what to do when an ally is coming for a gank."

"Hmmmmm," Nia twisted her lips. It looked like she understood what Yuel was saying but wasn't entirely convinced yet.

At the very least, she proved she knew how to deliver decent ganks and secure kills. This was already more than Yuel expected from somebody who focused on Duel. With that said, none of this helped his situation in Top Lane.

"So, when are you planning to gank Top?" Yuel asked.

"Um, eventually."

"When is that 'eventually' coming? I'm losing the lane over here."