Vol.2 Ch.13: The Stage of Those Who Didn't Make It

The StormBlitz vs. Leopards scrimmage was a week away. As the second string, Yuel, Trever, Gilbert, Roi and Dan spent that time practicing together as much as possible. They played Ranked as a team, practiced against the first string and strategized team compositions.

By Howard's order, Lars was also mixed into the second string's core training. This allowed the second string to hold intense 3v3 matches, helping them polish their teamwork in team fights. Even though Lars didn't get to participate in the scrimmage, he had no problem sacrificing his free time even after school, all for the sake of the second string.

"I gotta make sure you win your debut match, dude." Lars proclaimed to Yuel. "If you dudes can improve by playing against me, then I'm available anytime."

"Thanks." Yuel smiled wryly. How did Lars feel as he played with the second string? Yuel couldn't even imagine.

Lars thristed to play competitively as strongly as Yuel, maybe even more. Yet, he didn't make the cut this time. It took real strength to be able to help the second string around the clock despite that. Yuel wasn't sure he could had done the same in Lars's shoes. Lars was truly amazing.

As the second string practiced together, it became apparent that Trever, despite being nominated as the captain, couldn't lead the team at all in the strategic department. "Just pick your best classes and we'll stomp these guys." That was Trever's typical response whenever team strategy was brought up. Thus, Yuel and Gilbert handled most of these matters, Trever was just there to provide moral support or whatever.

Before long, the important day was here. The scrimmage took place in ProCenter, a game center which also hosted various Esport tournaments. Some came here to play casually with friends, whereas others came to fight to the death in serious tournaments. Since Yuel barely played video games with others before Classmancers, he had no idea such places even existed until this year.

ProCenter hosted tournaments for a myriad of game genres, such fighting, racing, battle royale and, of course, MOBA. Since Classmancers was an Esport recognized in schools, it received extra attention. Huge halls and well-kept rooms were reserved for both teams today, even though the upcoming matches weren't even part of a tournament.

The halls were designed to satisfy any competitive needs, coming with cutting edge computers, a large stage, huge monitors, tons of crowd seats and literally everything. There were even larger and flashier stadiums deeper into the center. These were reserved for the regional tournament and pro matches. Yes, even some pro matches were hosted here.

This wasn't the first time Yuel came to ProCenter in the past year. Most of the first string scrimmages were hosted here and the whole club accompanied the team for these matches. However, this was the first time he came here as a fellow participant, not just as part of the crowd.

Shivers danced across his skin. For the first time, he felt pressure as he stepped inside. This was the competitive stage he was yearning for, the one he trained so hard for. Even though it was only going to be a scrimmage and he was merely on the second string, he was definitely here - on the same stage pros played on.

"Hey, what's up, kid?" Trever asked. "You look like a zombie."

"Nothing, just a little tired." Yuel wobbled, barely keeping himself on his feet. His brain ran game simulations the whole night, so he barely got any sleep. He somehow managed to pull himself together until now, but the fatigue started getting to him.

"Haha, so nervous you couldn't sleep?"

"Something like that."

"There are some nice sofas in the back, you should lay down a little. We still got like an hour until the match anyway."