Vol.4 Ch.12: Battle Preparations - Howard's Side

"Lol, you serious?" Roi asked. Howard just called him and Dan to explain the crazy bet he made with Yuel.

"Wait," Dan said. "You really gonna step down from being the captain if you lose?"

"Not sure what I'll do about being the club captain," Howard answered. "But, I will surrender him the Support role as promised. So, yes, this is no joke. It's a serious match if that's what you're asking."

"Huh..." Dan was speechless.

"You really think you can win, bro?" Roi asked. "It'll be me and Dan on Yuel's team, ya know. You don't think Tai and GG can balance us out, do you?"

"Of course not. But, where's the fun if it's not challenging, right?"

"Lol, somebody likes to live dangerously."

"Anyway, that's the gist of it," Howard said. "Until the match on Friday, consider Yuel your captain. Cooperate with him on whatever he asks and prepare for a tough match. I don't want to see you put on an embarrassing performance just because my position is at stake." It wasn't a request; it was an order. They weren't allowed to even entertain the thought of slacking off. It was a serious match through and through.

"Heh," Dan chuckled. "Bet you also gonna say you'll kick us off the first string if we don't play well, amirite?"

Hmm. Howard paused for a moment. Normally yes, he'd threaten them with something along these lines. That'd to ensure they're 100% concentrated on the task at hand and will be able to draw out their full potential.

However, right now, these two were his "enemies". Howard wanted a fair match with Yuel, but there's no reason to go out of his way to ignite the enemy's fighting spirit. That's the job of the enemy captain, not Howard's.

"Nah," Howard said. "We all know you're better than Tai and GG in your main roles. No matter who wins the match, I'm sure you'll keep your positions regardless. That is, as long as you don't embarrass yourselves with a shabby performance and play worse than Tai and GG."

"Lol, it takes a special kind of skill to play worse than these kids"

"Yeah," Dan added. "They don't even main these roles. We can play better than them even with our eyes closed"

"Good." Howard nodded. From their tones, they were going to put on a decent fight. However, they won't be fighting with their positions on the line, so they'll be tough opponents but not overwhelming. Unless Yuel ignites a flame in them, there's nothing to worry about... right?

Next, Howard informed Gilbert. However, here he assumed a different tone. Gilbert was on Howard's team, so he had to treat this match as a matter of life and death. Therefore, maximum motivation!

"Also," Howard added after explaining the basics. "This match will double as a selection test for the first string, which includes you too. It's a good chance to test how much July has improved over the year."

"Hm," Gilbert was silent for a long moment. "You mean it? You really consider picking her for the first string over me?"

"Elly trained with her and said she improved a lot. So, who knows how good she is by now."

"I see. I'll play with that in mind." Gilbert said. There was strong determination hidden underneath his tone. Even though he didn't seem to believe Julia had any chance to steal his spot, he wasn't going to take any risks. After all, it's Gilbert, he hated risks no matter how small they were.

Alright, nothing to worry about here. Howard nodded to himself. Gilbert's motivation should now be at its peak, so he'll put on a good show on Friday. Julia will no doubt also be motivated for this match, so Gilbert will have to squeeze every last bit of fighting spirit to overwhelm her.