Vol.6 Ch.13: Rhythm Reader

Vincent's attempt to aggress turned into a disaster. He was a frozen solid in place, effectively becoming a sitting duck for the enemy. Meanwhile, an ice wall stalled Kai and she couldn't back him up.

"Can you get out?" Kai asked.

"Does it look like I can? You'll have to help me... Oh, right. He created an ice wall between us. Haha, that Chessmaster, I'm telling you."

"You sure look happy for a dead man."

"Why wouldn't I be? These guys are nuts! Look at Gunz coming to wreck me as soon as I got frozen. Their timing is so perfect! That's why they're the Golden Duo!"

"Huh," Kai shrugged. The timing and coordination of that counter-offense was indeed solid, but she won't let them get away with this nonsense. She'll counter their counter!

Besides, there was nothing to worry about. Even though Vincent was frozen, only the enemy Gunslinger could deal enough damage to kill a Viking quickly and he had to use Fan the Hammer masterfully to pull that off.

But, they all saw how "masterful" this Gunslinger was with headshots. He either gonna miss all his shots or only deal subpar damage by shooting the body. So, Vincent will be fine. Kai had more than enough time to turn this around-

"Oh!" Vincent shouted. "Here it is! The Gungnir Sniper! Three headshots in a row with Fan the Hammer! That's how it gotta be!"

"Eh...?" Kai blinked. Did that guy seriously land them? She had firsthand experience with how rough it was to land multiple headshots in a row during Fan the Hammer. Could somebody their age really pull that off in the heat of the moment?

No way. Vincent had to be exaggerating, right? With that said, Vincent's HP indeed plummeted at lightning speed. Darn it, if only this annoying ice wall wasn't in her way so she could see what's going on.

"Got 'em!" Lars grinned. "Three headshots in a row! Headshot spree, yo!"

"You missed the fourth shot, though," Yuel said.

"Geh, c'mon, dude! Would it kill ya to praise me sometimes?"

"I guess you did alright."

"Haha, I swear dude," Lars shook his head. "So, what's next?"

"We kill him," Yuel ordered to continue the offense. It was checkmate. The three headshots came after Combat Roll, so a combo of three headshots in a row stunned Vincent for a short time.

On top of that, each shot stacked a cripple effect on Vincent that'll last even after his stun. While crippled, all movement abilities were sealed, even blinking. In other words, they sealed Vincent's escape route of teleporting back to his axe. Their prey was captured.

"They got me good," Vincent smiled wryly after finally breaking out of the freeze. His panic button was disabled by the cripple, so he had no way to get out of there. The Golden Duo completely turned the tables on him. It was epic.

However! That didn't mean Vincent was ready to give up just yet! The enemy's play was quick and crisp, but Vincent didn't want to hand them the victory on a silver platter like this. He'll struggle to the very end!

Therefore, it was time to unleash his trusty minions! Come forth, Viking Rangers!

Vincent activated Unstoppable Raid, which summoned forth five viking warriors. They were the heroes of justice who'll save the day! They gonna get Vincent out of this pinch with the power of friendship! Or, more accurately, by savagely assaulting his enemies.

Each individual viking minion was separately customizable, so Vincent put quite the effort into giving each of them a different color scheme. He even spent some of his allowance on these premium customization options. But, it was totally worth it. All for the sake of creating the Viking Rangers!