Vol.3 Ch.21: Facing One's Shortcomings

The fifth game between StormBlitz and Leopards reached its final stage. After gaining momentum during mid game, StormBlitz maintained their lead and pushed the Leopards back in Bot and Mid. No matter how hard Jennifer tried to turn the tables around, her team was constantly overwhelmed.

The main culprit was Gunz who dominated for the second game in a row, largely thanks to the kill he scored on Jennifer. It gave him just enough lead to go on a wild hunt. Despite playing a defensive Carry, his super accurate super long snipes were the bane of existence for everybody.

Dude was legit aim-botting, no joke. Like, how the heck was he landing every shot from across the whole lane? Hax!

The enemy Chronomancer, Average, was also a huge pain in the butt. In term of skill, Average didn't seem like anything special, just like his name. Yet somehow, he managed to create trouble every time.

In the first game, Average did a crazy switcheroo with his finished build and pulled a kamikaze stunt on Jennifer. In the previous game, he played a very nasty Beastmaster who pushed lanes at the speed of light. And this game, his Chronomancer popped all over the map and burst players down, then quickly got out by rewinding time. That sneaky little...!

Despite all that, the Leopards fought relentlessly till the very end. Jennifer's performance was lackluster and she was aware of it, but that didn't stop her from trying. She kept trying and trying and trying, believing the Leopards can break through.

『DEFEAT』

Damn. Jennifer sighed. They couldn't do it, huh. Everybody must have seen this result from a mile away considering her underwhelming performance and how dominant Gunz and Average were, But, they all fought by her side to the bitter end.

"Good game, guys." Jennifer stood up, forcing herself to smile. "These scrubs were kinda better than what we expected, right? But make no mistake: any other day we'd mop the floor with them. Today was just a hiccup."

"We went, 1-4, though." Albert pointed out.

"Oh shush you." Jennifer made a face. "Every game today was hella close. If we subbed Alex earlier... " She paused. "Anyways! We were real close! No need to feel bad!" She wasn't entirely sure whose spirits she was trying to lift, the team's or her own. "Okay guys, let's go and get the formalities done with."

Both teams gathered in the center of the stage. There were some rules about how they were supposed to line up... probably. Jennifer couldn't be arsed to remember. She just secured the beginning of the line. She's the captain, so surely she gotta stand at the top, right?

"Good... Game..." The boy in front of her starched a shaky hand. Whoa, what's this guy? He's pale like a freakin' ghost and looked like he could collapse at any moment.

"Yeah, good game." Jennifer shook the ghost's hand. If memory served, this kid was the vice-captain of StormBlitz. At least, until these crazy guys decided to kick out their own captain.

So, did it mean this kid was the new captain? Like, he's just a freshman. Was Jennifer's team really done in by a bunch of greenhorns? Bloody hell. How did her team lose!? How!? To a bunch of rookies! Dang it.

But she had to admit, these guys played well today. They deserved at least some respect. Like, not TOO much respect but at least a little. Some of there were definitely worthy opponents to keep an eye on. Who knows, she may face some of them in high school.

"Who's Gunz?" Jennifer asked out loud.

"Yo," A blonde guy flashed his teeth and stretched his hand. "Breaker, right? Your combos were sick! Good game."