Little Moments

Levy looked through the glass door of the oven. There it was, all wet and uncooked. Gajeel's birthday cake. He was supposed to be over soon, and Levy had forgotten to make the cake. She tapped the glass, hoping to make it speed up. She had even considered calling Natsu for help. But, since Levy didn't want ashes for a cake, she had decided not to. 

Knock, knock. Levy jumped up. Gajeel's here. Running quickly, she unlocked the door. There he was. His hair had been tied back into a pony tail, and his regular bandanna was there. He grinned, and Levy got caught on the strength of his jaw. She shook her head, and moved away from the door.

"Happy Birthday, Gajeel. Come on in, cake's in the oven. Sorry."

Gajeel chuckled and ruffled her hair as he came in. "I'm just surprised you convinced Fairy Hills to let me in the girls' dorm."

Gajeel walked over to the couches Levy had put between the bookshelves of her room. He glanced around at the books, and then back to Levy. "Shrimp, you've read all these?"

Levy laughed, and sat next to Gajeel on the couch. Nonchalantly, he put his arm across the back of the couch. It didn't take him long for his arm to drop onto her shoulders.

"Yes, I've actually read all of these." Giggling, Levy leaned into Gajeel's side. 

Gajeel grinned, and rubbed her shoulder. She's so small. So cute. He looked around, and noticed a book. It had no cover, and the pages were bound together by twine. Gajeel nodded to the book. "What's that?"

Levy glanced at it, and her face went red. "Well... uh... That's, that's," Her voice dropped. "My diary."

Gajeel grinned, and moved to stand up. Levy immediately grabbed his clothes in an effort to keep him from grabbing it. Gajeel felt the tug on his clothes, and the red-faced girl who held them. He grinned. "I'm surprised, Levy. You want my clothes off that badly?"

Levy immediately let him go. Her face got redder, and she looked away. Gajeel saw her begin to pout. Sighing, he bent down to look her in the eye. It took a while for her to look at him. Once she did, Gajeel rested a hand on her leg.

"I'm sorry, Shrimp. It was just a joke."

Levy stuck her tongue out at him. "It was a bad joke. Don't do it again."

Gajeel chuckled, and sat back down on the couch. Levy quietly leaned back into him, and he wrapped his arm around her again. "Alright, Shrimp. So I won't look at your diary." At least not yet. "So, is there anything interesting in this library of yours?"

Levy pondered for a moment, then stood up. She walked towards a bookshelf and grabbed a book. It was a thin book, with a red hardcover. The title was in gold, but it was in a strange language. Gajeel watched carefully as Levy came back, holding the book in her hands.

"How'm I supposed to understand that?"

Shaking her head, Levy sat down. "Baka. I'm going to read it to you. It's about dragons."

"Please tell me it's not a fact book." Gajeel groaned.

"Silly. It's a fiction novel. It's practically a storybook."

Levy began to read, and Gajeel rested his head on hers. He couldn't read the words in the book, but it fascinated him how Levy could read it. He stayed there, not interrupting until Levy interrupted herself. All of a sudden, her head shot up, and her eyes widened. Gajeel pulled back, watching her.

"Fuck!" She cried, and ran to the oven. 

As she ran, Gajeel could smell the burning smell. Everything inside him told him to go check what was going on, but he couldn't. Did Levy just swear? He was stuck to the couch. The sound of her curse was ringing in his ears. Did the shrimp just swear? No way.

Gajeel's brain kept going around in circles until he heard a noise from the kitchen. It was a whimper. Once Gajeel looked to Levy, he could see why. There, on the counter in front of her, was a burnt cake. Levy had her hands covering her mouth, but Gajeel could see the tears starting to come out of her eyes. Silently, Gajeel stood up. He made his way over to the kitchen, and hugged Levy.

She felt his arms wrap around her waist, and his head resting on hers. Levy twisted around to hug him back. She rubbed her face onto his shirt in an effort to dry the tears. Gajeel felt the tears on his shirt. Carefully, he pulled one arm off her to pet her hair. 

"I'm sorry." Levy sobbed. "I burnt the cake. I'm sorry."

Gajeel sighed. "There's no need to be sorry, Shrimp. It's not like the house is on fire."

Levy continued to sob into Gajeel's shirt, despite his efforts to comfort her. As Gajeel slowly felt her stop crying, a thought popped into his mind.

"Levy, you swore."

She didn't need a mirror to see the blush in her cheeks. Her face had gone all hot, and she suddenly wanted to be anywhere but with Gajeel. It was too embarrassing. So she stayed silent.

Gajeel could practically feel her clam up. "Hell, it don't matter, Shrimp."

Levy stayed where she was. There was no way she was going to show Gajeel her face when it was this red. So she simply closed her eyes and hugged him harder. She felt him hug her more too. Eventually, Gajeel let her go. Levy didn't look up at him. So Gajeel shrugged and headed for the bookcase. Levy didn't follow, but she did watch him from the corner of her eye. He had reached a nearby shelf, and was reaching for a book. Levy froze when she saw which book. It was a cover-less twine bound book. Her diary.

Quietly, Gajeel sat down. He didn't need to check if Levy was coming over; he knew she would be. But he opened the book anyway, and began to read.

The guild was having dancing lessons today. Jet and Droy couldn't stop fighting about who was going to dance with me. I ended up dancing with Gajeel. He was a good dancer. I kinda want to dance with him again. It was a nice moment.

Gajeel looked at Levy. She knew which page he was reading. He raised an eyebrow, and stood up. "Y'know Shrimp, if you liked dancing with me so much, you coulda asked."

Gajeel grabbed her waist and began to dance. Levy was pulled around at first, but once she got her feet back underneath her, she joined Gajeel in the dance. Sighing, she leaned onto Gajeel's chest. It's the little moments that count the most.