Chapter six

All I could see was Dean on the floor, screaming, being torn apart by something I couldn't see. Blood spraying everywhere as the yells only intensified. I couldn't bare to watch but I couldn't look away either. My husband was dying in front of me and there was nothing I could do about it. I could only scream.
"Lucy!" I squeezed my eyes shut against the sound his voice made as it called out my name.
"Lucy!"
"Wake up!"

I shot out of bed and yanked at the blanket my legs were still tangled in. It was a nightmare. Just a bad dream and Dean was alive in bed, looking at me with so much worry and concern that I just sank to the floor, feeling the cool surface of the hardwood under my knees.
Dean quickly jumped from the bed and made his way over, wrapping me in his arms. I heard the door open so I knew I woke up the others.
"She's gets nightmares almost nightly. Dj called me one night, freaking out because he didn't know what to do." It was Bobby. Dean quickly looked down at me and the guilt I saw in his eyes was almost sickening. He kissed my forehead and rested his chin on my head.
"I'm sorry." He whispered into my hair. I just grabbed his shirt and pulled him closer.
"I was actually on my way to wake you two up. You need to come downstairs." We both looked up at Bobby and then up to Dean. What was do important that he needed both of us this late at night? Dean
Dean slowly pulled me up to my feet and we followed Bobby down the stairs to find our son standing in the living room.

"Dean Jacob Winchester! What are you doing here! No how did you get here? I need to know the answer to that question first. Who are you working to pay back?" Dj looked at the floor, he knew he was in trouble. It was clear he was going to be shy about this. He wasn't speaking.
"Dj!"
"Ben gave me the money." He finally replyed. "He said it was his allowance and that he'd give it to me to see you."
"Why? I told you we were going to be back in a few days. We just needed to work out a few things. Why would you do this?" He was fiddling with his fingers, looking like has afraid to answer that question.
"I wanted to help." I looked over to Dean. He didn't return my gaze. He just continued looking at our son.
"Dean you're never going to help. You are going to go back to Lisa's house and live your life. That's it. It's final, end of discussion."
"But dad you were younger than me when you started. A lot younger. You..."
"Yeah and we wouldn't be in this mess if I hadn't."
"You wouldn't have met mom if you hadn't." We both froze. The words that came out of our son's mouth had us at a loss of our own.
"Come on Deej. It's time for all of us to go to bed." We heard Bobby say from behind us. He quickly stepped around us and led our son up the stairs. I finally had the nerve to turn to face Dean but he was still looking in the spot where Dj was standing. His words affected him greatly and it was written all over his face. I stepped forward to take his hand and pull him upstairs but he pulled away from me and walked out the door. Not saying a word.

The next morning, Bobby made breakfast like he always did when the kids were here. We sat in silence as we waited patiently for Dean to come back. He still hasn't and I was honestly getting worried. Finally I couldn't take it anymore so I went to look for him  having a good idea as to where he was.
And I was right. He was out in the garage, fixing one of Bobby's junkers.
"Are you ever coming inside? Bobby made a really good breakfast." I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. He didn't look at me, he just kept tinkering.
"Sorry, this is taking longer than I thought." He answered with no emotion. I nodded once.
"You mean it's taking longer than you hoped." It wasn't a question but he slowly stood straight and finally looked back at me. His eyes were red and puffy. He'd been crying.
"You can't take what he said like that. You know he didn't mean anything malicious."
"But he's right. If it weren't for the job, I wouldn't have met you and God knows where I'd be. I mean you might still be with Howard. Lucy you might have actually had a normal life. Not worrying if I'm coming home tomorrow or not." He explained. I took a few steps toward him and dropped my arms.
"Dean, I don't blame you for anything. Neither do our kids. And no matter who I married, I'd still worry if they came home tomorrow. It's life Dean. Look I love you and I'm not going anywhere and neither is our family. Don't ever worry about that. Now let's go send our son home so we can talk to your brother better than we did yesterday." He laughed a little and let me pull him toward the house.