Chapter fifteen

"Okay, we wanted to tell everyone together. We got the results from the paternity test today." I said as everyone sat in the living room. Except for Sam, who wasn't answering his phone.
"We know that sweetheart, what we want to know is the answer." Bobby said as everyone laughed. It's been about an hour since we opened the envelope and we honeslty needed the time alone to process everything.
Finally we came downstairs and called everyone to the living room, even DJ was allowed out of his room for this.
"Well, here it goes." I said, looking up at Dean. He kissed the side of my head and looked at everyone, ready to spill the beans already.

Dean and I escaped to our room and just laid there, quietly, neither one of us said a thing, he just absentmindedly rubbed my growing belly and occasionally kissed my forehead. It was peaceful until Connie started crying. I went to get her but Lisa yelled for us to stay put, she'll take care of her.
"I swear that little girl is going to grow up thinking that Lisa is her mother with how much she takes care of her."  I said, not even knowing for sure if I was joking or not.
"Nah, you're a wonderful mother, Luce. Don't put yourself down like that. You've been through a lot this year and I'm glad you were lucky enough to have her to help you out." I pulled my head back to smile up at my husband. He smiled back before kissing me. It was just a quick peck on the lips but there was still so much love sent through that little bit of affection that it made my heart swell.
"I love you Dean Winchester."
"I love you Lucy Winchester."

I hadn't realized I had fallen asleep until I heard yelling from the hallway. 
"Do you even care? I mean, what if something serious had happened? She really wanted you here for this and you couldn't be bothered to even pick up your god damn phone." Dean was the one yelling, Sam must be back.
"Dean, I'm sorry that I can't always check my voicemail but I've been a little busy okay. I'm sorry that I wasn't here but it couldn't be helped."
"It couldn't be helped? What was so damn important that you couldn't be there for your family? She really needed you man." Dean sounded so pissed and Sam sounded like he couldn't care less.
"She's your wife Dean, not mine. It's your job to be there for her, not mine. Stop putting this on me."
"You should have thought of that before you slept with her." I heard the door shove open and slam shut as Dean huffed, sitting on the end of the bed. I looked down and he had no idea I was awake. I watched him as took in a few deep breaths, dropping his head in his hands. I knew he hated fighting with Sam and I wished things were different, but they weren't.
I slowly sat up and went to where Dean was sitting and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, kissing him once there. He placed his hands on mine.
"How much?" He asked, clearly upset.
"Just the end." I answered. He leaned forward and kissed my hands and rubbed his up and down my arms.
"I'm sorry. That was kind of a low blow." He said, quietly. I kissed his shoulder again.
"It was. But its the truth. It was something he needed to hear." I laid my head down on his shoulder and he rocked us a little bit. It had to get easier than this.

"Are we going to tell him?" Dean asked me as he helped me make lunch for everyone. I gave a light hum as a response. I decided to just add to the leftovers from breakfast so it didn't take long for us to finish. 
"Luce. We have to tell him. He has a right to know." Sam didn't seem to care so why should I? I didn't want to talk to him right now, he's said enough.
"Dean, please give me the salt." I said as I stirred the eggs that were cooking. He took in a deep breath as he looked to his right, grabbing the salt shaker and giving it to me. I started pouring it in the pan.
"Is that good for the baby?" He asked after a few minutes of silence. I just shrugged.
"I don't know but it tastes good so there." He laughed slightly as he passed me to get to the table.
Sam came in from the living room as I turned to the stove. I looked back and got distracted so I touched the seering hot pan.
"Ow!! Damnit!" I yelled waving my hand around, trying to get the pain to stop.
"Lucy. What happened?" Dean ran over quickly and took my hand.
"I accidentally grabbed the pan." He checked it and made sure it wasn't too bad before going in the pantry for our first aid kit.
"Are you okay?" Sam asked as he stood a good distance from me. I didn't even look at him, I just watched after Dean as I waited for him to come back.
"I'm fine. Besides, it's his job to be there for me, not yours." I know it was petty and cruel to use his words, that he didn't even know I heard, against him but right now, I didn't care. I was hurt and I wanted him to know that.
"Here. Give me your hand." Dean said quietly when he came back. I finally looked at his brother and saw the hurt in his eyes. I felt a little guilty then and wished I hadn't said anything at all. He looked away and cleared his throat before looking down at his feet.
"I'm sorry I wasn't there, Lucy. That was low and I'm sorry but you have to understand, I've been feeling a lot of pressure here lately. It hasn't been easy for me either." He tried to explain. Part of me knew better and wanted to accept his apology but the other part, the one winning at the moment, wanted to use the truth against him and make him feel even lower than he did.
"Well you don't have to worry about feeling pressured anymore. The baby is Dean's."